• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia Books (1 Viewer)

BrightonBirder

I have been given the opportunity to work in a game lodge in Namibia (or South Africa, Botswana) which is interesting since I do not know anything about Africa. So with that in mind what are the books for birds, mammals, plants and general ecology that I need to get to help farmiliarize myself with southern Africa?

The field guides for birds are Birds of Southern Africa (SASOL) by Sinclair and Newman's Birds of Southern Africa by the late Kenneth Newman. The large reference type book to the region is Robert's Birds of Southern Africa. Butterflies is Field Guide to the Butterflies of South Africa by Woodhall. Mammals are Field Guide to Mammals of Southern Africa by C&T Stuart and Smither's Mammals of Southern Africa: A Field Guide by H.Smithers. Insects is Field Guide to Insects of South Africa by Picker. For frogs it's Frogs and Frogging in South Africa by Carruthers. Snakes and reptiles is Field Guide to Snakes and other Reptiles of Southern Africa by Branch. For rocks you can look at Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals of Southern Africa by Cairncross. Trees look at Field Guide to Trees of Southern Africa by van Wyk. Also look at the SAPPI Tree Spotting series. For flowers you can look at the South African Wild Flower series. For a general type guide you can look at Wildlife of Southern Africa: A Field Guide to the Animals and Plants of the Region by Carruthers.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back