• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia self drive. February 2017 (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

Ever fancied a safari but put off by the cost ? I imagine most members of BF must have looked in to going but those prices can be eye wateringly expensive.
Then I discovered Namibia.
Going off season can have it's advantages as well as disadvantages. It's the peak season for birds so that's a big plus.
Anyway , the flights were so inexpensive on a very short term special offer I booked on impulse and then started to make a plan. You can follow how it worked out on my blog if it is of interest:-
http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk

Self drive.... it's the way to go!
cheers Dave

Thanks for posting , Dave. An interesting and informative read ,as usual. I've read up to when you leave for Etosha which is obviously the site everyone's heard of, so particularly looking forward to how you went on there - all looks very barren so far !
Regards, Bill.

Thanks Bill. I won't reveal the details yet but let's just say "I'll be back!"
A totally different experience to The Gambia and I loved the independence of self drive which is very easy as there is very little traffic to contend with . As my blog mentions, you are probably your own biggest threat, drive with care, especially on gravel, and it's a breeze.

Another good write-up Dave, I enjoy these, and look forward to reading the rest. I'd suggest you have another look at your putative Lanner, looks like female Amur to me.

Cheers

James

Agree with James about the 'Lanner'.

I was on a trip in the same areas as you about the same time - had four dry days and then the years of drought ended spectacularly with downpours, the Omaruru river in spate and power lines down.

Fantastic country and very much enjoying your account and pictures.

Steve

Agree with James about the 'Lanner'.

I was on a trip in the same areas as you about the same time - had four dry days and then the years of drought ended spectacularly with downpours, the Omaruru river in spate and power lines down.

Fantastic country and very much enjoying your account and pictures.

Steve

How close did we come to bumping in to each other?!
The rain didn't detract too much for me, made the scarcer animals more difficult to find though. We were pleased for Namibia to be honest. Seeing the plight of the animals around Grootberg wasn't very pleasant.

Absolutely stunning photography yet again.
Jaw-dropping quality as usual Dave.

Sorry to say the same every time, but its wonderful to look at.

Absolutely stunning photography yet again.
Jaw-dropping quality as usual Dave.

Sorry to say the same every time, but its wonderful to look at.

As long as someone enjoys reading it I am happy to write it! I only hope it helps others make their mind up if the trip is for them.
cheers Dave

How close did we come to bumping in to each other?!

We arrived Windhoek Feb 7th, Walvis Bay 9th and 10th then worked up to Etosha for 13th to 16th, then Waterberg and back to Windhoek (after a very hairy exit from Waterberg due to storms) on the 19th.

Steve

We arrived Windhoek Feb 7th, Walvis Bay 9th and 10th then worked up to Etosha for 13th to 16th, then Waterberg and back to Windhoek (after a very hairy exit from Waterberg due to storms) on the 19th.

Steve

We were staying in Etosha Village from the 12th to the 16th so we may well have crossed paths in a vehicle!
We had two chance meetings whilst in Namibia. The first was when we bumped in to a lady who was staying at Etosha Village who we had met in The Gambia last November when she was staying in the same hotel then too.
The second was even more amazing. We were having dinner in Joe's Beerhouse, Windhoek and had just called for the bill when two people we know well walked past our table within feet but didn't spot us. We called them back. It was my son's best man , they had arrived from the UK that day and had even been at my son's house earlier in the week. They knew we were in Namibia but we didn't know they were. They had thought it pointless getting in touch as we could be anywhere. Little did they know we would end up having a beer together!
A few minutes difference and we would have never met.
Incredibly small world sometimes.

Really stunning pics Dave, nice one. :t:

The tit's certainly a tough call. Don't know how accurate the Etosha bird list is that I've just googled, but only Carp's is on it (not Southern Black). I'd have gone for Grey-backed for the Sparrowlark pic near the end though.

Really stunning pics Dave, nice one. :t:

The tit's certainly a tough call. Don't know how accurate the Etosha bird list is that I've just googled, but only Carp's is on it (not Southern Black). I'd have gone for Grey-backed for the Sparrowlark pic near the end though.

Thanks Larry, I looked long and hard ...and came to the wrong conclusion. I think you are right, it's a Grey-backed Sparrow-lark which looks more brown because of the surrounding soil colour!
I'm fairly confident that it is Carp's Tit but willing to concede otherwise. They are very similar but I went with the geographic location as shown in the Sasol guide book

Last edited:
I have added another "chapter" and would welcome any suggestions on my ID queries. cheers Dave

A great report as ever and it's bringing back memories of my trip to the Kalahari this time last year, a great deal of over-lap with species. Your Slender Mongoose is correct and I might be able to give you another tick (I might have to take one or two away though ;))

The Common Fiscal is in the process of being split and your birds with the white eyestripe are Latakoo Fiscal, Lanius (collaris) subcoronatus. No upper case for second and third binomial name by the way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_nomenclature

I haven't read all the chapters as I'm busy reading your Iceland report for my forthcoming trip and very useful it is. :t:

Thanks Dave, it's very rewarding to find out someone has found my report useful which is the whole purpose.
You'll love Iceland although unfortunately it will probably be a lot more expensive than when we went . Whale watching is a must if you are in Husavik and take an evening boat if you can as there are far fewer people then.
As for Namibia, I'll post my Buzzard elsewhere and ask for ID too, I think I know the answer but you never can tell.

I've been before but that was mainly touristy, Blue Lagoon, Gulfoss etc. This time it's full-on birding/photography. I love your drumming Snipe shots, hope they're still displaying when we're there. The exchange rate isn't great but it's all swings and roundabouts, we got 22 rand to the pound last March and it's now around 16.

The whale trip is something I've been considering so I'll definitely consider at that.

Which date is the buzzard on? They can be very tricky as there's a fair bit of interbreeding going on in SA, I'll take a look.

Have you considered Steppe for the buzzard?

The whale trip sounds exiting but if I had to choose between that and Arctic Fox I'd be struggling, strange as that might seem.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back