• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia - South Africa in September (1 Viewer)

chris8796

United States
Here are several from a "to be determined" file from a previous trip. They vary from Northern Namibia (Etosha NP) down the coast to Capetown in mid September.

Attachments

• unknown 3 SA.JPG
    unknown 3 SA.JPG
    464.2 KB · Views: 40
  • unknown cp sa.JPG
    unknown cp sa.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 41
  • unknown etosha finch.JPG
    unknown etosha finch.JPG
    626 KB · Views: 39
  • unknown etosha.JPG
    unknown etosha.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 29
  • unknown finch nam.JPG
    unknown finch nam.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 28
  • unknown nam 2.JPG
    unknown nam 2.JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 29
  • unknown nam sa border.JPG
    unknown nam sa border.JPG
    815.2 KB · Views: 30
  • unknown nam.JPG
    unknown nam.JPG
    658.2 KB · Views: 29
  • unknown nambia.JPG
    unknown nambia.JPG
    955.7 KB · Views: 30
  • unknown SA.JPG
    unknown SA.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 33
2 Namaqua Warbler
3 I'd go for Rattling Cisticola
6 Are Namaqua Sandgrouse.
5 The top bird looks like a female Black-throated Canary
8 I think these are all Black-throated Canaries, one of them has an emerging, black throat.
9 Southern white crowned Shrike

Last edited:
Supercilium and underpart streaking certainly suggests Karoo (Spotted), and pale tips to the tail feathers surely rule out Namaqua.

Stu

3 - Female Southern Masked Weaver?

Summarising others:

1 Cape Weaver male
2 Karoo Prinia
3 Southern Masked Weaver f
4 Rattling Cisticola
5 Black-throated Canary f + Southern Grey-headed Sparrow
6 Namaqua Sandgrouse
7 Karoo Thrush
8 Black-throated Canary
9 Southern White-crowned Shrike
10 Cape Canary

3 - Female Southern Masked Weaver?

Summarising others:

1 Cape Weaver male
2 Karoo Prinia
3 Southern Masked Weaver f
4 Rattling Cisticola
5 Black-throated Canary f + Southern Grey-headed Sparrow
6 Namaqua Sandgrouse
7 Karoo Thrush
8 Black-throated Canary
9 Southern White-crowned Shrike
10 Cape Canary
I posted upstream that this bird is a Namaqua Warbler, if it were Karoo Prinia, it would have to be a juvenile but the spots are too bold and too small for either juvenile or adult, tail is also better for Namaqua being very thin?
I think number 2 is Karoo Prinia
I wish people would qualify their opinions, why do you think it's a Karoo Prinia?

Last edited:
I posted upstream that this bird is a Namaqua Warbler, if it were Karoo Prinia, it would have to be a juvenile but the spots are too bold and too small for either juvenile or adult, tail is also better for Namaqua being very thin?
Apologies Andy; I was just following the thread for myself and trying to work out which birds had been covered. I made a list for myself and having done so, it seemed that only 3 had not been mentioned. Having made the list, I thought I might as well post it. At that point, you hadn't challenged the others' Karoo Prinia ID, so I thought you had accepted it.

I wish people would qualify their opinions, why do you think it's a Karoo Prinia?
Stuart Elsom does give reasons in support, and that's why I thought you had accepted it.

Supercilium and underpart streaking certainly suggests Karoo (Spotted), and pale tips to the tail feathers surely rule out Namaqua.

Stu
The extent and size of streaking amounts to just spots which surely aren't big enough for adult Prinia and they should be elongated streaks on a juvenile.

This is what the spotting on the Prinia looks like, nothing like the dots we see on the OP?

I'm also not sure of the 'pale tips' arctually just transluscence, you can actually see the shadows of overlapping feathers?

Namaqua warbler should have more white underparts and a clean white throat. This bird is clearly more yellowish and has some spots on the throat. Also the supercilium, eye colour and head pattern fits better with Karoo prinia.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back