• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nanday parakeet in Bangkok????? WARNING, poor picture (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!!!

On my way to my daily boxing exercise and I see a bird sitting on the wire on Sukhumvit Soi 23. I think dove.

Coming closer and it is for sure looking like a parakeet.

In Thailand we have the Blue-rumped Parrot with blackish head and bill on the females. But the tail on my bird is too long and have white eye rings.

I took several pictures with my phone so they are next to useless

Coming back home and after consulting my Birds in Thailand there is no bird looking like my bird, and checking internet I only find the Nanday parakeet looking like my bird.

Anyone that can be so kind to give suggestions?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 48
  • xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 38
  • xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 34
  • xxxx.jpg
    xxxx.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 32
Did you see the head as blackish in real life too? If so, I think Nanday (which obviously would be an escape) seems a good bet.

Niels

Did you see the head as blackish in real life too? If so, I think Nanday (which obviously would be an escape) seems a good bet.

Niels

Thank you njlarsen

Yes, the head was black and white ring. The body was grey as I looked against the sun. Tried with my mobile in manual mode to overexposure and when increasing light in computer the grey turn to greenish.

The bird is from Brazil but they have small local group of escaped / released birds around the world. So maybe there will be a group in Bangkok soon

Thank you, really appreciated

Kind regards an d happy birding
Aladdin

After doing a Google search of Nanday parakeet on images they sure do match up pretty damn good with the images you posted.

After doing a Google search of Nanday parakeet on images they sure do match up pretty damn good with the images you posted.

Cheers!

Yes, the only bird I could found looking like my bird. And it is from South America. But it is a quite common pet bird

My book Birds of Thailand and nothing like it.

I reported the bird in eBird and now I have to see if they will scold me :)

Cheers!
Aladdin

I feel escaped birds should be entered. They may be made invisible to others, but having them in the system for science output is the only way to see if an exotic becomes established.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back