• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Natural Looking (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

Does anyone know where I could get a "natural looking" bird feeder? Nothing plastic or ceramic? Most wooden bird feeders don't look natural either, it's just for photography mainly, it doesn't look good when the bird is on something clearly not natural

Calvin, why bother with naturalistic feeders? I've fastened a small branch to one of mine, but it can be placed anywhere, with an unobtrusive backdrop. Either it will be used as a pre feed perch, or if you put holes in, with peanuts or peanut butter, becomes a natural feeder too!
Carl

Calvin, why bother with naturalistic feeders? I've fastened a small branch to one of mine, but it can be placed anywhere, with an unobtrusive backdrop. Either it will be used as a pre feed perch, or if you put holes in, with peanuts or peanut butter, becomes a natural feeder too!
Carl

My feeder is on a tree, there's heaps of perches but they merely don't stay on them for long enough before going on the feeder unfortunately. I was trying to avoid DIY but I have a big branch that I could drill holes in.

Does anyone know where I could get a "natural looking" bird feeder? Nothing plastic or ceramic? Most wooden bird feeders don't look natural either, it's just for photography mainly, it doesn't look good when the bird is on something clearly not natural

hi, i'm actually after the same thing..i did some research and found these..i cant recomment them because i never brought from them before but if you do a search in google for "natural bird feeders" and you can add your location to get it near you....here is the link http://www.naturalgiftcreations.com/birding.html
let me know if i'm on the right track for what your after :) i realise its prob gonna look fake but i'm just posting the link to see if thats the kinda thing your after..i'd be happy to search some more :)

Carl

i might try this :)

Birds have learned to reconise bird feeders as bird feeders. Easy to make a "natural" bird feeder out of a log/branch but you will not see any birds on it for a loooong time.After moving house I put up feeders in a garden which had never had feeders and within 30 mins they were there.

Calvin; Have ye got any trees within ye range? Silver Birch would be ideal. Willow? Anything like that?

Run some peanuts, maybe some raisins too, through a food blender. Grind them to course 'dust'.

Then rub a block of Dripping against a good spot on the tree and rub the peanut dust into that. Especially if it's between the cover and ye feeders, the birds waiting their turn will find it and get at it.

It may not look 100% natural on day one ~ Dripping and god knows what appearing in the close up shots. But, the birds will get used to picking around that patch on the tree and will still be doing it when there's precious little for the casual eye to see.

What drops will attract Chaffinch, Robin and Dunnock, etc in amongst the vegetation.

Tits will likely be ye main tree material. But, get a Nuthatch and it'll all be worth while :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back