• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice for budding birder, please (1 Viewer)

Katy P

United States
Hello! My sister in Minnesota, USA, loves birds. I'd love to help her get involved in birding somehow. Her birthday is approaching and I'd love any advice for gifts I might give her to encourage this hobby. Thank you in advance! Sincerely, Katy

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

How about buying some bird feeders and feed for her? Maybe a bird guide book?

Hi again, and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I responded to your other post also recommending the Sibley Birds Guide.

Hi Katy and a warm welcome from me too. Having an idea of your budget would be helpful. However, I thought a bit outside of the box and came up with this site: About Friends | Friends of Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge

Now I've no idea if this is anywhere near where she lives, but there might be something similar closer to her. I wondered if you'd consider joining her up or making a donation in her name? We're lucky over here and have a lot of local wildlife trusts; if you join one of them you can get free entry to the places they look after for that year. I don't know if you have similar?

If she's on her own, being a birder can feel a bit "lonely" when you've nobody to share the excitement of a new sighting with etc. so joining a group which arranges day out can be great fun, or maybe have regular meetings, something like that.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

She should add the Cornell Labs Merlin bird ID app to her smartphone. I has both birdsong ID and visual with a guided process that works very well.

The bird apps for an area are far superior to anything in print. Problem with the bird books is that they cannot show the male in breeding and non breeding plumage or the female or juveniles as is shown with the smartphone apps. The ID will start with the GPS location and then go with the size of the bird and the colors shown and this makes for a very short list of possible birds to review. Much easier to carry around a smartphone than even the smallest bird guide book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back