• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice for budding birder please (1 Viewer)

Katy P

United States
Hello! My sister in Minnesota loves birds. I'd love to encourage her to get into birding somehow. Her birthday is approaching and I'd appreciate any suggestions for gifts that would support this idea. Thank you in advance! Katy P.

Depending on your budget:

Binoculars (you can't bird effectively without them, no matter what some eccentrics may claim)
Field Guide

Well that's it. You don't honestly need anything else to get started.

Go see her and take her on a proper birding day out to somewhere she wouldn't normally go and see how she likes it?

One more tip though. Everybody enjoys hobbies in their own way and your sister may already have hers sorted in her own mind. Nobody likes being pushed into things, even if they enjoy them: you may find she pushes back - just because....

John

First off welcome to the forum. A good field guide to get her would be the Sibley Birds East edition, or the one that covers all of the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back