• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Need advice on Camera/lens choice (1 Viewer)

Tiger1

I am not a photographer-just a happy snapper. Toying with buying a Nikon DSlR.
Options in my price range are:-
Nikon D5000 with Tamron 18-270 zoom--850 pounds
Nikon D5100 with 18-55 and 55-300 Nikon Lens--847 pounds.
or
Equivalent in the Canon range.

:-C:-C:-CI don't really understand all the technical jargon so some simple advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tiger1

http://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/sad2.gif

JSER

I am not a photographer-just a happy snapper. Toying with buying a Nikon DSlR.
Options in my price range are:-
Nikon D5000 with Tamron 18-270 zoom--850 pounds
Nikon D5100 with 18-55 and 55-300 Nikon Lens--847 pounds.
or
Equivalent in the Canon range.

:-C:-C:-CI don't really understand all the technical jargon so some simple advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tiger1

http://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/sad2.gif

Why not the Nikkor 28-300mm my son uses, about £650 why buy two lenses, I have a 19-35 which I had years ago, believe me the difference you gain between the 19 and the 28 is minimal, hope you go to a shop and try before you buy, regardless of buying from that shop or the internet, TRY

Last edited:

Tiger1

Thanks for the message. I think that lens would make the cost well above my limit of about 800 pounds.
The D5100 with the two lenses I mentioned comes as a 'kit' and I believe that serious photographers would not consider a kit set up but that is the one I am more inclined towards.
Cheers,

Tiger1

JSER

Thanks for the message. I think that lens would make the cost well above my limit of about 800 pounds.
The D5100 with the two lenses I mentioned comes as a 'kit' and I believe that serious photographers would not consider a kit set up but that is the one I am more inclined towards.
Cheers,

Tiger1

DO NOT rule out London Camera Exchange as a very long established reputable used equipment retailer :t::t::t:

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
Check out mifsuds, greys and Fixation, all offer warranted used options. Me if your a happy snapper, go with a body and a lens, you won't need to carry a second lens and removes getting dust etc into tne camera body. Look out for used 18-200vr nikon lenses, it a super travel, walkabout option. For the price and options you'll be very pleased with what ever you purchase, whether nikon, canon Sony or pentax.
What ever you decide, make sure you try before you buy, handling and ergonomics may sway your final choice.

Mifsuds have a used Nikon 18-200vr for £399.00 http://www.mifsuds.com/acatalog/Used_Nikon_AF_Lenses.html And a Sigma 18-200os for £249.00

Last edited:

Tiger1

Many thanks everyone. No decision yet, the Ayatollah is muttering under her breath. Maybe I should buy it as her 40th anniversary present on Monday!!!!!!

Alex
Tiger1

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread