• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Eyepiece for 804 Audubon (1 Viewer)

ChadHahn

I picked up a Swift Audubon Mark II Model 804 with Fully Coated Optics. It's in great shape except for they right, adjustable eyepiece, which is missing. Where can I send it to get a replacement eyepiece installed? Or is it an easy fix if I can find an eyepiece on my own?

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3836.JPG
    IMG_3836.JPG
    495.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5394.JPG
    IMG_5394.JPG
    535.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8475.JPG
    IMG_8475.JPG
    685.7 KB · Views: 27
Looking at photos of other Audubons online I guess the eyepiece that came with the binoculars is the correct one. I put it back on and tightened the screws but it still could probably stand to be seen by a professional. I could use new eyecups as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7563.JPG
    IMG_7563.JPG
    636.1 KB · Views: 20
I'd suggest a talk with Bill Cook and his recently launched Collimation Plus business.

I don't know if Nicholas Crista is still doing any work, but he was the head repairman for Swift for many years. He retired from there and started NRC Optics. Probably nobody knows more about Swift optics than Nicholas.

Looking at photos of other Audubons online I guess the eyepiece that came with the binoculars is the correct one. I put it back on and tightened the screws but it still could probably stand to be seen by a professional. I could use new eyecups as well.

That's not an EP but a diopter ring ... focus mechanism. I loved my Audubon but when I got my Nikon 8x32 SE, I sold it to a friend in Boston. Judging by the photos, it's going to need collimation, as well. :cat:

Bill

PS Nick is being judicious these days on what repairs he takes in ... as will I. It's an old guy thing.

Yes, it does need collimation.

Whenever I see Audubons, and to a certain extent, Swifts, I have to buy them. this makes the 3rd pair of Audubons I own. I'll probably never really use them so I'm not in too much of a rush to get them fixed but I'd like to get them in working condition sometime.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back