• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need feedback: Nikon Monarch HG durability? (1 Viewer)

I think that if one buys it new, the warranty will cover what ever mishaps come along, except abuse of course. There has also been issues with armor and other glitches from the big three from folks I know who do not bird, but participate in the other sport. If one uses these instruments daily in different environments there are bound to have issues down the road. I think Nikon has been very successful with many of their products old and new.

Agree that stock is low and they are currently not easy to find available for sale, but like others have said - there is no indication they’ve been discontinued. Nikon’s future as a premium binocular manufacturer - who knows?
Who knows, maybe the infamous Ever Given, still moored near Port Said, has several containers full of Monarch HG's ;)

I know, but it spent several days moored near Port Said. It has sailed today, destination seems to be Rotterdam.

This is the second time I've seen somebody mention that the Nikon Monarch HG has been discontinued . I am not sure about the rest of the world but I know it's not discontinued in the US and Canada . I just bought the 8x42 around this past Christmas 2020 and today both the Nikon US and Nikon Canada sites show the MHG's as available .
As far as it's durability I consider it to be quite durable . There is no hard plastic bits other than the eyepiece rainguard . The objective covers are soft rubber as well as the skin on the body of the bin . Everything else is magnesium and glass . I'm not sure what the focusing wheel is made of , seems like either metal or hard plastic with a so
I got a Monarch HG 8x42 last year, coming from Monarch 5 8x42.

The Monarch HG body is metal, a magnesium alloy. The faux leather can suffer some cosmetic damage eventually but nothing else. In my pair I have scratched the metal edges slightly because sometimes I don’t carryt them inside their case.

You are right about the eyecups but the design is different from the Monarch 5. The Monarch 5 eyecups suffer from a design flaw that will make them get stuck eventually. The two concentric cylinders are made of plastic. The Monarch HG cylinders are metal however, I think. So I expect them to be much more durable.

I am very pleased with them. Of course not cheap but the price performance ratio is amazing compared to other offerings.
I just recieved 8X42 nikon MHG from nikon as a warranty replacement of an old Nikon Premiere but the focus wheel is stiffer than my old pair. is this normal?

I just recieved 8X42 nikon MHG from nikon as a warranty replacement of an old Nikon Premiere but the focus wheel is stiffer than my old pair. is this normal?
Incidentally, I had sent my MGH 8x42 to repair in May (stiff focus wheel). They said it was due to an impact. Couldn't remember one. However, repair was shifted and shifted due to "no spares". A few days ago they sent me a new replacement one (s/n almost 10,000 higher ). My feeling about the stiffness of the focus wheel on that new one is the same: Appears a bit stiffer then on my first one (when it was not broken).
Regards
Werner

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back