• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Need help I was told it's a Female Grackle (1 Viewer)

Danielbirdwatcher

Danielbirdwatcher
Taken 6/14/2020 at Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, United States of American on the river. I was told it was a female Grackle is it?

MUA33Sv.jpg

Last edited:

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
Beak and foot shapes look good for an icterid. It's not an adult- I'd recognize it instantly if it were. Sub-adult something -- and it may not be possible to know male or female. Grackle seems like a possibility. I don't think the beak is heavy enough for brown-headed cowbird, which otherwise would be a decent match for color and pattern, and I don't think it's a red-winged blackbird, though I'm having trouble saying why - something about the face pattern, mostly. I believe the grackles at that location are boat-tailed and common. If I had to pick between those two, I'd guess boat-tailed. But don't quote me - I'd want to take a second look at other possibilities, like rusty blackbird (when do they migrate?).

birdmeister

United States
I think that this is a non-adult-male Boat-tailed Grackle. More I will not say.

I'm quite sure it's a Boat-tailed, too. Even the dullest female Commons should not be so pale below and shouldn't have such dark brown eyes. Coastal location keeps Boat-tailed in the equation, too.

Users who are viewing this thread