• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifing... (1 Viewer)

Grammy Pammy

United States
Greeting from Ellijay, GA. First of all I am not an expert. I just love watching and listening to birds.
I am hoping for some help me identifing this bird on my woodpecker feeder this morning. It is bigger than the downys and bigger than what I believe are Hairys (I dub them Hairys based on size and a slightly sleeker look in neck and head). This morning's bird is smaller than my red bellieds. Don't think it is a flicker. It has a muddy look to some of its colors and appears to be speckled on its belly as well as its back. I'm afraid my pictures are terrible. I took them from my bed, thru a glass door, on my phone on a digital zoom while shaking. I'm hoping you might be able to pick out enough to identify it.
Thank you for your time

Attachments

• 20210102_103210.jpg
    20210102_103210.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210102_144413.jpg
    20210102_144413.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210102_144409.jpg
    20210102_144409.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20210102_103224.jpg
    20210102_103224.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Hi GrammyPammy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Id forum, as they're better placed to help you with the identification.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

It's definitely a Sapsucker but I'm not sure it's a Yellow-bellied.

I have the Yellow-bellies around here all the time and I've never seen one that looks like this one.

Not much experience of sapsuckers, but Yellow-bellied looks the best fit to me; a juvenile just starting to get its adult red crown, and (from the lack of red on the throat) probably a female (unless a male's red throat develops later than the crown, which is possible). Going by Sibley, the 3 western species would all have slightly less extensive whitish barring on the back.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back