• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying an orange-black bird in Central Florida. (1 Viewer)

Booch77

United States
Saw a bird a tad smaller than the size of an American Robin but bigger than your average songbird, which had a rust-orange throat transitioning in to a white belly, black wings with a couple of white streaks or spots, and a few more rust-orange spots on its back. Originally, I saw it perched on a farm fence, before flying up to the top of a small tree, and then to the top of a large oak tree. It did catch a fly or lizard or something.

It looks somewhat like an Orchard Oriole, and its behavior matches it, but is not found here. The Eastern Towhee looks similar as well but it has a black throat and the orange expands to far down and its behavior does not match up. Any idea what this bird could be?

Last edited:
Baltimore Oriole can be variable plumage wise and are resident during the Winter in Florida?

Cheers

Any possibility of getting a picture of it if it comes back around?
It came back just now. Was still too far away for a decent picture (I only have a phone as a camera) so I'll have to settle for this blurry photo:3C1D4696-88EA-42BA-A26E-2669C5DD5488.jpeg
I got to see it from its back, and it has a lot more orange and stronger orange there than initially thought. There are white spots on its wing (sorry, not really noticeable from the photo, only from binoculars). It looks to me like a baby hawk? There was a female and male Red-Shoulder Hawk in the same farm about an hour ago… Again the bird went to the same spots (Top of big oak, top of small tree, on a fence). It did at one point dive off the fence on to the grass and then back on, eating something on the fence (not sure what).

It came back just now. Was still too far away for a decent picture (I only have a phone as a camera) so I'll have to settle for this blurry photo:View attachment 1486458
I got to see it from its back, and it has a lot more orange there than initially thought. There are white spots on its wing (sorry, not really noticeable from the photo, only from binoculars). It looks to me like a baby hawk? There was a female and male Red-Shoulder Hawk in the same farm about an hour ago… Again the bird went to the same spots (Top of big oak, top of small tree, on a fence). It did at one point dive off the fence on to the grass and then back on, eating something on the fence (not sure what).
Its an American Kestrel - nice one!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back