• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with Oregon hummingbird ID: (1 Viewer)

Dave S

Corporate Lacky
I saw it long enough to click this picture then it flew off into the sun so I could only see a colorless sillouette. Sorry there couldn't be more in the picture. This was taken today in Hillsboro, Oregon. The area is a bit marshy, but not too bad and this was in an area where trees were pretty spread out. I was on a bridge so I got it at eye level.

I did see a ruffous hummingbird about 1/4 mile from here last week, but it was obvious. Without color, I'm at a loss to identify this.

Attachments

• 2005-06-14-1600-134-800.jpg
    2005-06-14-1600-134-800.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 180
Oh what a fun challenge! I think it might be a juvenile. I thought it might be Black-chinned, Anna's, or Calliope. My guide says Black-chinned is rare in your area, so maybe that's not it. A juvenile Calliope is supposed to have creamy yellow on it's sides and belly, so maybe that's not it. My best guess is a juvenile Anna's, but I'm not very sure at all.

Is he holding his head weird? Because it looks like something funny is going on with his neck and shoulders.

Dave S said:
I saw it long enough to click this picture then it flew off into the sun so I could only see a colorless sillouette. Sorry there couldn't be more in the picture. This was taken today in Hillsboro, Oregon. The area is a bit marshy, but not too bad and this was in an area where trees were pretty spread out. I was on a bridge so I got it at eye level.

I did see a ruffous hummingbird about 1/4 mile from here last week, but it was obvious. Without color, I'm at a loss to identify this.
Hi Dave; My guess is an immature female rufous. Ruffous and Allens females are almost impossible to separate without a bird in hand, but you are probably too far North for the Allens. According to Thayer BNA those throat stripes will aglomerate to a spot as it matures.

Had a pair of ruffous hang out at my feeders here in Northern California for a month this spring, and I was hoping they'd raise a family. No such luck. They just kept on going.
Craig

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back