• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with small shore birds - So Cal (1 Viewer)

dant1999

1) My initial thought was that in the first photo, which was taken last September in Santa Monica, that this is a snowy plover. Is this correct? I recently discovered that I have been confusing snowy plovers and sanderlings, and I just wanted confirmation.

2) In the second photo, taken today near the Santa Clara River estuary, are these all sanderlings or is this one sanderling with two snowy plovers?

3) In the third photo, taken today near the Santa Clara River estuary, is this a least sandpiper?

Attachments

• IMG_2896abf.jpg
    IMG_2896abf.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6069abf.jpg
    IMG_6069abf.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6003abf.jpg
    IMG_6003abf.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 110
For sure a Sanderling at the top in the second photo. Well the leg color is a clincher for Least on the Third.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back