• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need to confirm these buzzards (1 Viewer)

Ains

Today photographed buzzards (Rare in our area we have the occasional Long-legged buzzard and sometimes the common buzzard visiting our small hill station in Rajasthan. Need confirmation of these buzzards they seem to be common buzzards?
Location Mount Abu Rajasthan India.
Date 21 Nov 2020.

Attachments

• buzzard 0F4A9174.JPG
    buzzard 0F4A9174.JPG
    532.2 KB · Views: 48
  • buzzard 0F4A9191.JPG
    buzzard 0F4A9191.JPG
    665.9 KB · Views: 50
  • buzzard 0F4A9213.JPG
    buzzard 0F4A9213.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 52
  • buzzard 0F4A9283.JPG
    buzzard 0F4A9283.JPG
    524.3 KB · Views: 49
  • buzzard 0F4A9312.JPG
    buzzard 0F4A9312.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 44
all of them are juveniles. remember that they have narrower wings than adults, possibly accounting for the impression of a longer wing. that said, buteos in that part of the world are such a minefield that i'd be reluctant to put a name on them, especially in youngsters. they could as well be himalayan buzzards, imo.

Wouldn’t Himalayan Buzzards (both refectus and bermanicus ) be out of range in Mount Abu? One ssp is sedentary, the other a short ranged altitude migrant - I cant recall which as I have no literature to hand. (Neither xeno nor ebirds show records for Himalayan Buzzard in Rajasthan). Japonicus is also restricted to the Himalayan regions and hemilasius Upland Buzzard also would be south of it’s normal range. Nominate Common Buzzard doesn’t occur in India afaik and these don’t look like Steppe Buzzards either on structure or plumage IMO.

The underwing pattern is fairy typical for pale LLB - the dark tips to the median covert forming an underwing band (that doesn’t occur in vulpinus) and pale upper breast with dark belly along with well defined solid carpel patches.

I agree, one can’t always be 100% with Buteos, but range and structure can suggest I think that one might more favourable over the other.

Last edited:
Referring to photo 3,4 and 5, here in the Balkans, B. rufinus looks different - longer and broader wings, longer and stronger neck.
Regarding photo 1 and 2 it doesn't match with LLB shape and pattern I think.

2 looks like is the same bird as 3

all these buteos are highly variable with overlapping plumage features, including rufinus, (which has also 3 morphs) - Remember, Buteos also have regional variations where one type of colour morph/phenotype tends to predominate the other.

Buteo refectus is just a synonym of Buteo burmanicus; see IOC:
The taxonomy on Buzzards in Asia has often been a bone of contention - literature refers to two distinct populations of Himalayan Buzzard for example, one an altitude migrant and one sedentary) - and that burmanicus is distinct from the other species of buteo found in the Himalayas but there seems to be little literature on the morphological differences . The Eastern Buzzard, ‘japonicus’, has also been treated as synonymous with rectus.

I think we can rule out Himalayan Buzzards on range anyway and apart from Steppe I’m not sure what else is in range?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back