• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest boxes over run by house sparrows (1 Viewer)

CharlestonGray

United States
Short version: Does anyone have tips or know if nestbox guards that deter sparrows... Not wrens, swallows, chickadees, finches?
--------------
This is my 1st post, all detailed background info is here but it's long and probably unnecessary to read: We get a dozen+ daily different species of birds visiting my yard (in North Jersey). I've put up a few nest boxes over the first few years I've lived here.

All similar design, just minor size difference. 4x4x7in to 5x5.5x11in ... ideal for chickadees, wrens, swallows, finches. However In recent years all boxes are full of House Sparrows.

Only info I've found is how to keep sparrows out of bluebird boxes. I'm looking for a way to entice wrens, swallows, chickadees, finches, keep out sparrows.

One site said hanging reflective mylar strips works but that scared off all birds except the sparrows who all came back after 2 days.

PS. IDK how much this matters, but the owner of the house one over from the backyard neighbor, has left his house go into disrepair, there are 50-200 starlings that live inside his attic. He also has almost as many house sparrows nesting in the detached gutters and dead trees. The starlings go nuts on garbage day but don't seem to interfere too much with my backyard. The sparrows, however are all over the lawn and bird bath.

Last edited:
Welcome to BirdForum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Would a different sized entrance make a difference?

Welcome to BirdForum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Would a different sized entrance make a difference?
Not really, Most guides say 1.25"- 1.5" for the 8 common small local NJ species. One type of Wren, Carolina Wren, uses 1.13"-1.4" opening (different, but not really)
House sparrows prefer anywhere between 1.25" and 1.75", but I even had one make a nest in a empty cedar feeder with a 3"x8" opening, they're not picky.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back