• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestbox for Jaybirds? (1 Viewer)

Jessie-66

Germany
Jessie wishes you a good day.
For 2 years now, jaybirds (Garrulus glandarius) have been trying to build a nest on the roof beam overhang of our house in spring. This works for about 2 weeks, the nest material with coarse branches fall down again and again. After two weeks the jaybirds are gone without nest, without breeding.
Does it make sense to build an artificial nest or a nestbox, "birdhouse"? What does it have to be like, where arranged? Our house with garden is located near by a strip of forest at the edge of the village. I feel sorry for these animals, they waste a lot of energy for nothing.
Can you give me links, I'm not a professional birder, I'm nature friend and my husband and I will build a nest help when this makes sense. Thanks for your help.
Stay healthy, people!

Last edited:
Jay nests are usually quite basic piles of sticks in the fork of a tree. If the birds want to build then maybe just make a flat wooden shelf in the area. That will support the nest they build.

Jay nests are usually quite basic piles of sticks in the fork of a tree. If the birds want to build then maybe just make a flat wooden shelf in the area. That will support the nest they build.
Hello Mono,
we will build a wooden shelf and a big "Halbhöhlenbrüterkasten" (half-cave nesting box?):
https://www.nabu-shop.de/nistkasten-koblenz
We attach both to a deciduous tree with wire so that we do not nail or drill in the tree. We do'nt know if the nesting aid will be accepted.
Best regards and thanks
Jessie

Last edited:
Probably something disturbed the jaybird and they decided to abandon their nest.
Check this website in German with more information:
https://www.plantura.garden/gruenes-leben/voegel/eichelhaeher
Hello Fritz,
my husband and I assume that the roof beam is too narrow or too smooth. However, disturbances by us after the beginning and before completion of nest build are also possible, the jays build directly above our terrace - and we start in spring to work in the garden and sit on terrace. We will test two solutions written in my last message. Thanks for the link, very informative.
Best regards
Jessie

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back