• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Netherlands / Belgium long weekend (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I'm going to Netherlands / Belgium for a long weekend at the end of November.
Arriving at Hook of Holland and departing via Calais. 4 days available.

Please can you recommend any good birding spots in that area (e.g. along that coastline)?

thanks

PS....Purpose of the trip = I had a ferry booking to Hook of Holland last year that got cancelled due to COVID, and I've been informed by Stena Line "use it by end of the year or lose it".....& the planned October trips to further away also cancelled......

Nohatch

Mad scientist
The island of Texel is highly recommended and always has good birds - especially shorebirds - and is a magnet for vagrants. You can access it by car ferry and a lot of birding can be done by just driving around the island. Plenty of accommodation and good facilities (pubs, restaurants) if you need them.

Closer to the ferry, Zeeland is excellent and has plenty of similar habitat, especially along the Grevelingenmeer.

If you're interested in shorebirds, divers, gulls etc. then the Maasvlakte is a good place to go - it also gets vagrants (a bit like Dungeness).

Inland areas like the Biesbosch and Oostvaardersplassen are great for wintering marsh birds, fowl, White-tailed Eagles and so on.

I don't know how good heathlands like Fochteloerveen and Bargerveen are that time of year - probably not the best. The forested area just north of Arnhem (Veluwezoom) has an interesting selection of continental forest species, like Black Woodpecker, Crested Tit and so on.

Finally, the Netherlands are famous for wintering geese and ducks (like, millions of them) - including species we don't really get in the UK like Red-Breasted Goose, Lesser White-fronted Goose, Smew, etc. The grasslands of Zeeland, Friesland, and along the major rivers are full of them.

For more detailed info I recommend a look around the Sovon website (Dutch bird atlas): Sovon Vogelonderzoek | Soortenoverzicht (you can switch it to English).

Have a great trip - and don't forget to sample some stroopwafels :p

Joost

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread