• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 100-400 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
It is starting to look like this is going to happen (famous last words lol) See HERE only $2399!
Should be able to pick-up the 7DII + 100-400 II for around £4k I reckon.
Don't shoot the messenger please!!!

Last edited:
I think that it is likely that the 100-400 II will be announced in September. There has been much speculation that this lens will be released along with the 7DII. The rumors of the 7DII seem to be a little more concrete, and the discounts on the current 7D have started.

With a lot of 3rd party lenses having more reach (500mm or 600mm) this lens has to be very very good to justify its price. Why pay twice as much for a 400mm lens when you can have the high quality Tamron 150-600 with 50-80% (depending on the sensor size) greater magnification?

No doubt Canon knows that the ante has been upped and I'm looking forward to this lens, could be something special!

Canon had better optimize the performance at 400mm. Sony's 70-400mm is excellent in this aspect according to DxOMark.

I wonder if it will be this year that this rumour is right... I love the way it says that the info comes from a new source - own up who started the rumour this time? It would be interesting if it does happen (not that I can see me bothering to change).

The potential specs I have seen rumoured make this look very good. Cannot understand why someone is plugging a Sony lens on here unless it will fit on a Canon body!!

I wonder if it will be this year that this rumour is right... I love the way it says that the info comes from a new source - own up who started the rumour this time? It would be interesting if it does happen (not that I can see me bothering to change).

It has to be right one year. Maybe this is the one.

No new rumors on this lens since July 12. Hopefully this is because with a lens there is less to speculate about compared to a new camera. Hopefully it is not because the rumors have once again proved false.

I guess we will know in 10 days.

Mike

What no push pull zoom! That was the best feature of my 100-400!

Great in temperate climates on dry days but problematic IME in dusty environs, on pelagics (salt spray) or on very wet days. I've destroyed most of my lens at least once through introduction of these through the push-pull mechanism.

cheers, a

Very true Steve but they do reach more than 400. If canon were to produce a 150-600 L to compete what would the price be? Surely a fair bit more than £1599.99

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back