• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 8x !! (1 Viewer)

Rob from Texas

Ok, I've ben saving for a nice 8 power bino to compliment my 10x42 Torics.
Here are my priorities:

1) Bright
2) Sharp, sharp, sharp.
3) Fairly compact. (smaller that the 10x42 Tracts)
4) FOV nice but last in priority.
5) No funky edge ring.
6) I like to smash them into my eye sockets for support, hate the forehead brow hold)
So I was shooting for $1000 range, but....
Should I just jump on the Kowa CameralandNY deal for $800 for the 8x33 Genesis,... or keep saving for a Leica?

Rob

A "clean" pre owned Leica 8 x 32 Ultravid would be how I'd spend you're $1,000 and tick off 5 of the 6 priorities.
No idea what no.5 is.... (a funky edge ring).

I would jump on the Genesis, it meets nearly all your criteria. Worst case scenario you can return them, or resell for minimal loss down the road.

They have fat, rounded cushy eyecups like the Toric, and moderate eye relief so you don’t have to hold the away from your eyes. Very bright and very neutral, extreme microcontrast with fantastic CA control, I think you should give them a go.

How about a Swarovski Companion 8x30 CL-B? It ticks off all your priorities. It is ranked above the Leica Ultravid 8x32 and Kowa 8x33 on Albinos.

Last edited:
Save your money if you have to...I know it's hard to do. Buy you an Ultravid HD+ 7X42. Or an 8X42 if you just have to have 8X but I'd go 7X42. I know it's twice as much as you intended on spending. It's one of the most compact 42mms there is. It's a little heavy/chunky. Not quite as long as the Toric. Sportoptics generally has some type of "promotion." You'd have to call. Seem like I remember they had some type of PayPal financing deal? I didn't use it but it was offered. The are in Louisiana...You should get it in about two day! The thrill of you opening that Leica box and you using them the first time...PRICELESS. Sorry my advice isn't cheap. You'll probably never part with them. UH OH....I see I'm too late! LOL

IMG_0670.jpg

The Kowas are awesome for the money. If you buy them for $799 and use them for a few years you’ll get most of your money back if you want to trade up. You don’t have to break the bank for really nice optics these days as you found out with the Torics. Meopta B1 8x32s might work for you but they have tiny eyecups like the Companions. Also a Zeiss Conquest 8x32 is essentially a scaled down Toric. I really liked mine and would’ve kept them but the fast focus was so finicky I had a hard time keeping them in focus. Bet you like the Kowas you ordered though.

Ok, my Kowa Genisis 8x33 arrived today!
I'm just returning from an afternoon/evening walk with them in the estuary.
I have to declare them "Lucky Binoculars". Every rare bird around here flung themselves at me.
A Sharp-shinned hawk landed close enough to hug. She was not in a hugging mood though.
All this luck had absolutely nothing to do with the wind finally dying down after wailing for 3 days....
Anyway, on to the initial review of the (lucky) Kowa Genisis 8x33.

Cost: $799, no tax , free ground shipping.
Packaging: Complete, but no plastic wrap. (open Box special)
Condition: No marks or flaws apparent

Size: OMG, after all the pics of the Conquests, Zeiss SF and many others, I was expecting a modified 8x42, ...but these things feel tiny. These are a great compliment to the big 'ol Tract Toric 10x42. I like them!

Build: Very sturdy. The eye cups have three positions with no hint of wiggle. I use all the way out. No movement. I tried them flat in with my reading glasses just to experiment. They work, with maybe a 10% loss to the FOV. (Eye Relief listed as 15mm.)
The Focus wheel seems solid (it is cause its...metal). No slack, slightly firm when turning. A bit slow, but a very fine focus is evident.
Very nice feel to the armor, very grippy without being fluffy. Thumbs indents under, work well, and pinkies can wrap against the tripod port.
The Diopter was firm but ok, but the lock was way too firm. I had to lower the bino, hold firmly, and pull up hard to un-lock it.

Optics: Very, very Flat-field (at least to me, as I have no Alphas) Appears as like edge to edge clarity. I can tell the last 10% differs, but still good.
Very bright view. Easy view to get into when bringing the binoculars up. To me, these de-emphasize greens and browns. I read someone
hated that greens get emphasized, well this is your pair then. It liked reds. The legs of Ibis were nicely accentuated. At first I did not think they were that crisp and detailed, but it was just the fine focus. The more I used it, the better the sharpness became.

Overall: Handsome and handy little pair. I can see using them more and more. The optics are not right for me, but I'll hang with them , see if I get more used to them. I can't complain for $799. After all, I cant shun a lucky pair.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Ok, my Kowa Genisis 8x32 arrived today!
I'm just returning from an afternoon/evening walk with them in the estuary.
I have to declare them "Lucky Binoculars". Every rare bird around here flung themselves at me.
A Sharp-shinned hawk landed close enough to hug. She was not in a hugging mood though.
All this luck had absolutely nothing to do with the wind finally dying down after wailing for 3 days....
Anyway, on to the initial review of the (lucky) Kowa Genisis 8x32.

Cost: $799, no tax , free ground shipping.
Packaging: Complete, but no plastic wrap. (open Box special)
Condition: No marks or flaws apparent

Size: OMG, after all the pics of the Conquests, Zeiss SF and many others, I was expecting a modified 8x42, ...but these things feel tiny. These are a great compliment to the big 'ol Tract Toric 10x42. I like them!

Build: Very sturdy. The eye cups have three positions with no hint of wiggle. I use all the way out. No movement. I tried them flat in with my reading glasses just to experiment. They work, with maybe a 10% loss to the FOV. (Eye Relief listed as 15mm.)
The Focus wheel seems solid (it is cause its...metal). No slack, slightly firm when turning. A bit slow, but a very fine focus is evident.
Very nice feel to the armor, very grippy without being fluffy. Thumbs indents under, work well, and pinkies can wrap against the tripod port.
The Diopter was firm but ok, but the lock was way too firm. I had to lower the bino, hold firmly, and pull up hard to un-lock it.

Optics: Very, very Flat-field (at least to me, as I have no Alphas) Appears as like edge to edge clarity. I can tell the last 10% differs, but still good.
Very bright view. Easy view to get into when bringing the binoculars up. To me, these de-emphasize greens and browns. I read someone
hated that greens get emphasized, well this is your pair then. It liked reds. The legs of Ibis were nicely accentuated. At first I did not think they were that crisp and detailed, but it was just the fine focus. The more I used it, the better the sharpness became.

Overall: Handsome and handy little pair. I can see using them more and more. The optics are not right for me, but I'll hang with them , see if I get more used to them. I can't complain for $799. After all, I cant shun a lucky pair.

Any thoughts?

Genesis 8x32?
I did not know that exists.
Mine is 8x33.

I was a little surprised to hear you say “the optics are not right for me” after what was reading like a pretty glowing review.

Can you be more specific about what’s not right?

WRT the focus and diopter tightness, it will probably loosen up with use. The thing I’ve found with the Genesis is that the focus pitch is very fine, and they are very sharp, so if the focus is too loose then it’s hard to ease into that perfect crisp focus. The perfect focus point is very precise, perhaps because the “flat field” somewhat reduced perceived depth as well. The extra resistance helps prevent overshooting. But it requires some finesse to get it just right. I find with my Leicas for example that you can just mash the big, chunky focus knob around but still easily snap into crisp focus. The Genesis knob feels more like a precisely machined lab instrument where you have to be more deliberate and gentle to dial it in just right.

Regardless, give yourself at least a few days of using them in the field before passing final judgement. It takes time to get used to the feel of a different optic and you need to use them in real world conditions to learn their “personality” and faults/strengths.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back