• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New ATC/ STC 17-40x56 Telescope (2 Viewers)

Hi Henry (post #78),

Just to clarify about the 460 mm objective focal length . . .

Prior to the introduction of the C series telescopes, all the fixed body and draw tube models had a focal length of 460 mm,
as is shown in the page from the 2005 catalogue.

But, I’ve not seen any indication that the length is shared by the modular X series telescopes.
And since the designers would have started from scratch, perhaps they used another figure,
one that better fitted in with various design considerations?

John

Attachments

• Telescopes 2005 cat.jpg
    Telescopes 2005 cat.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 33
Keen to try one out but I suspect that I won’t be buying one unless it’s significantly better than my MM4 60mm
I'll be interested to find out. I've been quite happy with my mm3/60, but if the Curio 7*21 is anything to go by the new ATC will be a tough one to beat, although not on price😎

If the foot has a non circular shape then you could 3D print a thin plate that sits on your tripod plate and has recesses on top/bottom to fit the plate and scope foot… so when clamped down they cannot rotate…. Have to see whether this is an option.

Peter

All this worry about rotating quick release plates- this can be overcome quite simply by a number of methods.
PTFE plumbers tape wrapped around the thread before screwing into scope, this beds in and secures leaving no damage when removed.
Double sided tape neatly cut and put between any twin surfaces of scope and plate.
None marking tape on scope and SUGRU bridging between plate and scope/tape.
All three for a "belt and bracers" job.
On conventional scope plates using fine wooden dowel as an anti-rotation pin.
It is all tried and tested in this house.

I presume the balance point of the ATC / STC will be at the mounting hole. If not, Swarovski designers should probably look for new jobs.
There aren't all that many scopes where the balance point is at the mounting hole. In fact, of the many scopes I used over the past 40 years there were very few that were well-balanced.

Hermann

All this worry about rotating quick release plates- this can be overcome quite simply by a number of methods.
PTFE plumbers tape wrapped around the thread before screwing into scope, this beds in and secures leaving no damage when removed.
Double sided tape neatly cut and put between any twin surfaces of scope and plate.
None marking tape on scope and SUGRU bridging between plate and scope/tape.
Nicely said. All this worry about rotating plates reminds me of all those funny complaints about objective lens covers over in the binocular forum.

Both are well over the top.

BTW, there's another simple thing one can do: Remove any kork, rubber or plastic from the surface of the mounting plate. Metal on metal works a lot better than all those funny coverings the manufacturers of quick release plates deem necessary. And if you scope foot gets a bit scratched - who cares? I don't.

Hermann

A bit of neoprene rubber sheet and some tightening of the screw also eliminates most rotation worries. Given the lightness of the scope, I wouldn’t be overly worried, not going to have a huge lever arm.

Peter

One thing I can’t understand, is why people hate zoom binoculars, but seem to love zoom monocular like this STC. My bushnell 7-15x zoom bino is pretty good optically through the range.
I always assumed it was just too hard to coordinate the zoom in the two barrels, so only cheaper models try it. (even Duovid is not "zoom" in this sense)

I could make zoom binoculars is I put two Baader or APM zoom eyepieces into my APM binoscope, but I prefer wide field eyepieces, so prefer to keep one power, switching eyepieces if I need more power.

Peter

A video on the scope, and then some footage from the field through said scopes towards the second half of the vid.

I am shocked at the quality. Punches incredibly high.

A video on the scope, and then some footage from the field through said scopes towards the second half of the vid.

I am shocked at the quality. Punches incredibly high.

i'd watched that previously. good to see him hold the ATX module up close to the STC...sizing compare..as far as i'm hearing, he's not claiming the STC prism is the same as the ATX/STX, just that the ocular cup is the same size. Maybe it is the X prism components, but maybe not. Thinking glass and coatings derive from NL development..just an idle thought

The optics, coupled with the size blew me away.

Having tried the abysmal Kowa 55mm Flourite lens scope, this looks far, far more competent in the optics department. The Kowa I'd rate as a 2 out of 10 for price versus performance.

Oops. It seems I just ordered one in orange... To match the Curio...
😃😂
I did the same. And whilst my Curio lets me know what color to expect, it's not the binocular I'd pair it with.

If the SFL 8x30 ends up being what I hope it will be, that could be the ideal companion. In the meantime, I'd probably use it most with my Eii 8x30.

I did the same. And whilst my Curio lets me know what color to expect, it's not the binocular I'd pair it with.

If the SFL 8x30 ends up being what I hope it will be, that could be the ideal companion. In the meantime, I'd probably use it most with my Eii 8x30.
I have the support of a Habicht 10x40 as well...😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back