• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New ATC/ STC 17-40x56 Telescope (1 Viewer)

Sounds like you need to make an anti rotation plate that has recesses on both sides to fit the foot and the top of your tripod head, this would stop the rotation issue. 3D printing would be an option if anyone has the dimensions. Some thin rubber sheet could also help.

Peter

As Hermann mentioned in the thread before, didn't all scopes use to be without this pin in early days? I'd just make a habit of checking it habitually. Strange it would come loose that quickly though.
Yes, interesting to see if others have same issue, or it's just something peculiar to the set up they had in the shop I went to. I wonder if (as others have said) it's exacerbated by the small surface area of the foot.

Last edited:
In an ideal setup you'd have metal on metal. No rubber or cork or whatever in between the scope and the tripod head. Works best in my experience, especially when the contact area between the scope and the tripod head is small.

Hermann

I wonder if (as others have said) it's exacerbated by the small surface area of the foot.
Sure, that plays a role. However, most old scopes like the Kowa TS series, the Herte & Reuss or the Optolyth 30x75 had such small feet. And yet people used them all over the place without any major problems.

Hermann

1671911041700.png This is the foot - I'm not sure what makes contact with the tripod plate - whether all (if precisely flush), or the silver or the black area, or just the small outer green area - depending which is most proud. I guess resistance to torque also dependent on how deep the screw recess is (or is this a fixed industry standard?)

Last edited:
It's always looked to me that it's designed for use handheld at lower mag's, leaning against something or on a monopod up to its maximum magnification. Screw in monopod's without a tripod plate don't tend to budge much in my experience.

I also tend to use the small size thread and a bush adapter and keep a few bush adapters in my birding bag in case I knacker one- I'd rather it be that that gets knackered than the thread on the scope or top of the monopod.

Yes, of course the problem is the very small amount of surface contact area between the foot and the quick release plate as I described early on in this thread. Loctite applied to the screw threads did not solve the problem. Perhaps as Herman states removing the rubber friction strips from the QRP might help. I haven’t tried that yet. What has helped a lot is using a plastic cable-tie around the scope and QRP as shown in the picture I posted earlier.

Also, in my experience, someone spending hours in the field carrying a tripod with scope attached is more apt to have problems with scope starting to rotate on the QRP than someone spending less time carrying scope and tripod as in moving from car to viewing spot. Over the years using a compact, easy to transport scope and tripod I have owned Nikon ED 50, Opticron MM3 60, and now the ATC. The MM3 had the most secure anti-rotation attachment system (2 screws).

Aagghhh… a circular foot… if it had a flat side then you could have a chance of stopping rotating…. Maybe it’s needs JB Weld?!

Peter

I use mine with a Peak Design QRP and the scope has never worked loose of the plate. Contact surface is not a lot but it is the whole black disk show in the pictures. Maybe the reason of the non rotating connection has to do with the need for an Allen key to secure PD QRP to the scope. The force applied with an Allen key is much more than with a coin or a ringed screw.

By the way, Peak Desing QRP is Arca Swiss compatible, so there is a broad choice of compatible heads to use it with.

Tried the ATC recently. I'm struggling to think of a time when this item will be useful ! I've tried similar 'scopes before and agree they have some use for travel when weight is an issue. The ATC needs a tripod. For extended use ,it needs a tripod that fully extends and is fully stable. Travel pods are not ! Swarovski have made a big play on it's ability to be hand held.Total nonsense !! They stated themselves that the EL 12x50 was the most magnification that could be hand held. Now they state hand holding 17-40x is possible. A binocular is easier to hand hold than a telescope.The older EL12x50 was about the same weight as the ATC, the newer NL 12x42 is lighter. It's totally impossible (for most people) to hand hold a scope at 40x ! Try holding it at 40x on the single beach at Cley in the winter whilst looking at something a few hundred yards out to sea ................even in brightish conditions !! So,it needs a decent pod. Add the weight of a decent pod and the difference in weight between a ATC and a ATX65 is not much. For a scope of this size,optically it performs well enough.

Tried the ATC recently. I'm struggling to think of a time when this item will be useful ! I've tried similar 'scopes before and agree they have some use for travel when weight is an issue. The ATC needs a tripod. For extended use ,it needs a tripod that fully extends and is fully stable. Travel pods are not ! Swarovski have made a big play on it's ability to be hand held.Total nonsense !! They stated themselves that the EL 12x50 was the most magnification that could be hand held. Now they state hand holding 17-40x is possible. A binocular is easier to hand hold than a telescope.The older EL12x50 was about the same weight as the ATC, the newer NL 12x42 is lighter. It's totally impossible (for most people) to hand hold a scope at 40x ! Try holding it at 40x on the single beach at Cley in the winter whilst looking at something a few hundred yards out to sea ................even in brightish conditions !! So,it needs a decent pod. Add the weight of a decent pod and the difference in weight between a ATC and a ATX65 is not much. For a scope of this size,optically it performs well enough.
You can go for a much lighter tripod, a Gitzo travel tripod should work well enough with the ATC. The optical performance is very similar to the ATS65. You might lose a few minutes of last light but that doesn't weigh up to the compactness of the ATC in my opinion. It's much easier to pack in your backpack for day trips etc. If you don't see the use for it, you probably don't need it. I would never buy something I would need to find a use for.

When I saw the ATC pop up, I immediately had a "finally" moment. I just hope it does the job for me as I have not tried it yet.

It was never going to be hand holdable for any higher mag or extended viewing work. Sturdy monopod should work out ok though.

You can go for a much lighter tripod, a Gitzo travel tripod should work well enough with the ATC. The optical performance is very similar to the ATS65. You might lose a few minutes of last light but that doesn't weigh up to the compactness of the ATC in my opinion. It's much easier to pack in your backpack for day trips etc. If you don't see the use for it, you probably don't need it. I would never buy something I would need to find a use for.

When I saw the ATC pop up, I immediately had a "finally" moment. I just hope it does the job for me as I have not tried it yet.
I fully agree with you
ATC:
Optics: fabulous
Size: perfect
Handling: freehand doable up to 20-30x for a quick view, but on a Sirui carbon tripod (total weight w scope ~2 kg?) really excellent, light carry.
Design: wonderful, snug piece of kit.
Cheers!
Per

Since my post 19 minutes ago, 4 replies already ! We need to get out !!
When Swarovski announced this scope I was very interested.
I've recently undergone lung surgery and after the second Op. I contacted a really bad infection. And I mean BAD.....think DEAD !! ! I had to go back into Hosp where I also got COVID ! As a result ,I currently have to carry oxygen!
So, lighter gear means more to me than most!
I want to like this ATC (or a Kowa or anything similar) but as I state ,when combining the weight of a pod there isn't much difference. Then carrying the Scope/Pod on a Scopac or Mulepack, then the difference isn't noticeable!..........even for me!!
I've just done a quick comparison on weight in grams( forget price/quality etc etc)
Swar ATX 95 2217
Swar ATX85 1977
Swar ATX65 1652
Swar ATC 900

Kowa 99 1810
Kowa 88 1460
Kowa 553 810

A decent pod (carbon)
Swar 1800
Benro 1586

So, this thread is about the ATC so lets compare the ATC with Benro pod 2486, Swar ATX65 3238, Kowa 553 2396, Kowa 88 3046.
So the ATC is a 'can of Beans' lighter (on average)
Is it worth it??

Since my post 19 minutes ago, 4 replies already ! We need to get out !!
When Swarovski announced this scope I was very interested.
I've recently undergone lung surgery and after the second Op. I contacted a really bad infection. And I mean BAD.....think DEAD !! ! I had to go back into Hosp where I also got COVID ! As a result ,I currently have to carry oxygen!
So, lighter gear means more to me than most!
I want to like this ATC (or a Kowa or anything similar) but as I state ,when combining the weight of a pod there isn't much difference. Then carrying the Scope/Pod on a Scopac or Mulepack, then the difference isn't noticeable!..........even for me!!
I've just done a quick comparison on weight in grams( forget price/quality etc etc)
Swar ATX 95 2217
Swar ATX85 1977
Swar ATX65 1652
Swar ATC 900

Kowa 99 1810
Kowa 88 1460
Kowa 553 810

A decent pod (carbon)
Swar 1800
Benro 1586

So, this thread is about the ATC so lets compare the ATC with Benro pod 2486, Swar ATX65 3238, Kowa 553 2396, Kowa 88 3046.
Is it worth it??
I would not get too hung up on grams. To me, it's more about volume. The ATC is incredibly compact and seems to be very well built. This means you can just drop it in your day pack without too much added protection. This, in itself, is more valuable than mere grams.

I'd also use a heavier and bigger tripod with the Swaro ATS - adding to the volume. A nice carbon travel tripod can just fit on the side of the backpack.

In short, it's more about packability and ease of carrying it with you everywhere. Having said that, I think you'll definitely feel the lower weight more than you'd think, too.

Take a look at this post:

I think it shows how compact the whole setup is.

That sounds awful. I hope you'll make a recovery soon!
Swar ATX 95 2217
Swar ATX85 1977
Swar ATX65 1652
Swar ATC 900
Well, if you want to stick to Swarovski and want to keep the weight down, you've got only one choice, the ATC. The only significantly lighter scope is the Nikon ED50, and that has it's own set of problems (limited availability of eyepieces, no wideangle zoom, somewhat fragile).
A decent pod (carbon)
Swar 1800
Benro 1586
Do these weights include a decent video head? My lightweight setup (Gitzo 1545T+Gitzo 2180) is 1608 gr. including a decent strap.
Is it worth it??
Whether it's worth it is something only you can decide. I normally take the Gitzo in combination with the ED50 when I want to keep the weight down, that combination weighs ~2200 gr., depending on the eyepiece on the ED50. That's about 700 gr. less than the same tripod with the Nikon EDIIIA. I personally find that difference quite significant when I'm hiking longer distances. On really strenuous trips I replace the Gitzo tripod with a decent monopod. Not a combination I'd use in a howling gale in North Norfolk. However, that combination is about 700 gr. lighter than my setup with the Gitzo 1545T.

I personally believe Swarovski should have made the ATC lighter, even if they'd had to use a less complex eyepiece. These small scopes are really for lightweight birding, and 900 gr. isn't that light.

Hermann

Last edited:
Kowa 99 1810
Kowa 88 1460
Kowa 553 810
I think the Kowa numbers (or at least the 88, which I've also been looking at recently), are for the scope body alone, and the eyepieces are pretty heavy (close to 400g), so the Kowa 88 will be just over twice the weight of the ATC (which is still very good for a scope of that size and reported performance).

I agree that it's pointless to buy an ATC for handheld use, and there's little point if you're going to use it on a full-size tripod. But I do think there's a reason to have a compact scope if you're willing to make a compromise and use a compact tripod (i.e. something that you'll use sitting / kneeling / on an elevated surface).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back