• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bird, cannot identify,,, (1 Viewer)

JGNY

United States
This bird is very small like a wren, Brown and very unusual song, I have enclosed a video so that you can hear the sweet song. We are in northern ny state near the Thousand Islands. Its been here for about a week (5/20 through 5/26/ 2021)

Attachments

• fe82ad19e18d381fbd8d4cc66d9d51a7.0.mp4
    6.7 MB
Welcome to the forum, JGNY. Is the bird on the wire that flew the bird of interest? Or is the bird singing the loud whistle-y song the bird of interest?

Welcome to the forum, JGNY. Is the bird on the wire that flew the bird of interest? Or is the bird singing the loud whistle-y song the bird of interest?
The song is my question, I believe the bird on the wire was not the one singing. I am wanting to know if anyone can identify the bird that is singing, its so unusual. I will also add that I contacted Cornell lab of ornithology and they said I am hearing a house wren,,,,, no that is not a wren I am hearing! Has anyone here heard this beautiful songbird before?

Last edited:
Thanks, JGNY. My only guess for the singing bird is Baltimore Oriole, and it doesn't really sound like one to me.

eta: I'm not hearing a House Wren

The song is my question, I believe the bird on the wire was not the one singing. I am wanting to know if anyone can identify the bird that is singing, its so unusual. I will also add that I contacted Cornell lab of ornithology and they said I am hearing a house wren,,,,, no that is not a wren I am hearing! Has anyone here heard this beautiful songbird before?
I think the bird on the wire may be some kind of flycatcher. As far as the song, Baltimore Oriole is my best guess, but it sounds too slow and drawn out to be a Baltimore Oriole

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

After much research,,,, I am leaning towards the nightingale wren. Although our bird has a slightly more musical song. Our bird is dark brown and very small like a wren, but his song is so special and similar but not exact to the nightingale wren. There are no other birds answering his call, so I feel like he is alone here! Can anyone say if they have also heard this bird song? https://ebird.org/species/nigwre1 this site has several recordings of the nightingale wren.

After much research,,,, I am leaning towards the nightingale wren. Although our bird has a slightly more musical song. Our bird is dark brown and very small like a wren, but his song is so special and similar but not exact to the nightingale wren. There are no other birds answering his call, so I feel like he is alone here! Can anyone say if they have also heard this bird song? https://ebird.org/species/nigwre1 this site has several recordings of the nightingale wren.
The bird on the wire is not the one singing, I'm 99% sure. And nightingale wrens don't live anywhere near NY

Nightingale Wrens aren't found outside of the tropics. If you are seeing a brown bird produce the mystery song, would you be able to get close enough to film or photograph it?

The bird on the wire may be an Eastern Phoebe, I think I can see the tail moving some. But the movement I think I see may just be a result of the low quality vid. I'm 90% sure it's a flycatcher of some sort.

Mystery is solved! It is an oriole! I've never heard that tune come from our orioles! :) We feed them oranges every spring and this song is so new to us! Thank you for all your help and ideas!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back