• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New birdings binos ~1k price (1 Viewer)

I have a Meopta Meostar 7X50 that is one of the best binoculars I have where CA is concerned. It has a LOT of eye relief too. I don't use it as much as I should because of lowish FOV and it's a little heavy(around 1000gm). It's a binocular that is still available though and within your budget. You also might try to find a Swarovski SLC 8X42. It's a little more expensive...very good eye relief...it's one of my better ones as far as CA is concerned and still remain CLOSE to your budget.

Would it be better to stay at 8x42? Opinions? Extra max vs wider fov? Does that 10x give any gains compared to 8x? I still have conquest 10x56 and also kowas 883... so basicly i just answered to my own question🤦🙆
An 8x42 is the best all around birding binocular. If you have only one binocular get an 8x42. I 2nd Chill6x6's recommendation on the SLC 8x42. It has excellent CA control and better 3-D and glare control than almost any Swarovski binocular.

Love the Kowa 8x33. Cameralandny is practically giving them away for $799 US. Might be able to post them to you. If weight isn’t too big a deal they have the 8.5x44 for $899. The Nikon HG is very nice at that price point and very lightweight for its size. Meopta B1 is a gem in the 32 mm but the eyecups are too short for me. Agree the SLC is better than the above but it’s quite a bit more money and weighty as well.

Love the Kowa 8x33. Cameralandny is practically giving them away for $799 US. Might be able to post them to you. If weight isn’t too big a deal they have the 8.5x44 for $899. The Nikon HG is very nice at that price point and very lightweight for its size. Meopta B1 is a gem in the 32 mm but the eyecups are too short for me. Agree the SLC is better than the above but it’s quite a bit more money and weighty as well.
The SLC 8x42 at 28 oz. is still a LOT lighter than the Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 at 33 oz. I agree that it is better than either the Kowa or the MHG.

Hmm.. Im leaning towards MHG, Swaro and Kowa go beyond my price limit😁 Just need to get somewhere to test these things

8x42s definately have the advantages of brightness, wide fov, and ease of holding steady. However if you do a lot of far range glassing in wide open spaces as I do in Montana a 10x is hard to beat.

8x42s definately have the advantages of brightness, wide fov, and ease of holding steady. However if you do a lot of far range glassing in wide open spaces as I do in Montana a 10x is hard to beat.
I agree. That is the reason 10x is so popular. It is nice to have an 8x and a 10x depending on how you are using them. Montana is a beautiful state! Not too many people either like Colorado.

which glass would you choose fo birding, the leica trinovod 10x42hd or the monarch 10x42hg, i can get each glass for around 900€ new.

which glass would you choose fo birding, the leica trinovod 10x42hd or the monarch 10x42hg, i can get each glass for around 900€ new.
First, I'll say welcome.

Second, it would help to know where you are and what kind of birding you will do, for the most part.

hello all!
im a hobby nature photographer based in austria and i have an eden 10x42xp since a few years, which i like. i dont have any experience with any better glass than the eden, but the time is reached to go for something "better" maybe in the 1000€ range. i mostly watch birds in the woods beside the river in my hometown in the garden or be on a phototrip, sometimes in gloaming conditions in the morning or evening . i have choosen the leica and monarch because off the low weight
i have seen a few videos and read in different forums that the leica maybe would be better in terms of sharpness, low light ability and CA.
maybe there are other more modern obtions available.

Last edited:
For casual bird watching in the garden or woods I would recommend 8x over 10x. The wider, deeper field is really nice and easier to use. And if you’re a casual user you can drop to an 8x32 and get the same exit pupil as a 10x42, with a nice weight savings.

Between the Monarch HG and Trinovid it mostly comes down to what’s more important to you: the Monarch HG has a much wider field of view, and is slimmer and lighter.... the Trinovid is compact but a bit heavier, with less FOV but superior Leica contrast / saturation. I love the wide FOV and brightness of the Nikon but for me the view was a bit “flat” compared to the more saturated, contrasty Leica view (or the more expensive Nikon EDG).

Both should be excellent, and are well reviewed. I don’t think there’s a major difference in brightness or sharpness, at least nothing with worrying about.

If you would consider a 8x32 then the excellent Meopta Meostar and Zeiss Conquest HD should be considered. On the 42mm side I would also look at the new Meopta Air.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back