• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New book about chick rearing by the pied-billed grebe (1 Viewer)

pbgrebe

Life and Loss Among the Reeds: A Tale of Two Pied-Billed Grebe Families, by Andrew Abate.

If you’re looking for something other than a bird ID book, something that transports you into the daily lives of individual birds then you might consider checking out this book. It’s a unique and original behavioral study (easily accessible for non-biologists) about the chick rearing process of the pied-billed grebe that closely follows two PB grebe families through their chick rearing periods. The studies are remarkably detailed. They contain daily documentation of the chick rearing periods (recorded in journal form) so the story of these families can be followed chronologically. Also, each family member was identified as a distinct individual. Thus, the reader can come to know each individual and its personal story can be followed within the larger picture. Essentially, these studies are a cross between a wildlife journal and a behavioral monograph. This is undoubtedly the most detailed description and account of the chick rearing process for this species and perhaps for any avian species. And it’s about time that this fascinating, widely distributed little grebe received some focused attention within the extensive trove of avian books! I can personally relate how riveting and magical (and nerve-wracking!) it was to watch the parents and chicks work their way through this crucial life phase because I’m the person who conducted these studies. I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have about what I observed and what it was like conducting this study.

Should anyone be interested, a brief synopsis of the book has been attached.

Attachments

• PB grebe book-synopsis.docx
    14.1 KB · Views: 17
I wanted to add a few photos to my original post (re. the book Life and Loss Among the Reeds) but didn’t know how to edit it. I thus decided to put them in a separate post.

The book consists of detailed observations of the chick rearing process in two pied-billed grebe families. The photos are meant to serve as an introduction to the two families. One photo shows the 5 chicks and female parent of the family that I refer to as the South River family. A second photo involves the other family which I refer to as the West Lagoon family—it shows 3 of the chicks swarming around the male parent as he feeds a crayfish to them.

Attachments

• 8-10 Remy & all 5 chicks(1).JPG
    8-10 Remy & all 5 chicks(1).JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 9-16, Feeding-3 chicks(3).JPG
    9-16, Feeding-3 chicks(3).JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 11
I wanted to add a few photos to my original post (re. the book Life and Loss Among the Reeds) but didn’t know how to edit it. I thus decided to put them in a separate post.

The book consists of detailed observations of the chick rearing process in two pied-billed grebe families. The photos are meant to serve as an introduction to the two families. One photo shows the 5 chicks and female parent of the family that I refer to as the South River family. A second photo involves the other family which I refer to as the West Lagoon family—it shows 3 of the chicks swarming around the male parent as he feeds a crayfish to them.

An original and different kind of bird book. Easily the most detailed account about chick rearing that I’ve read, especially for the South River family. Reading this book has left me with a renewed appreciation and respect for parent birds and how tough a job it is rearing chicks.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back