• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New - Can’t figure out what bird this is? (Surrey UK) (1 Viewer)

Tom_V

United Kingdom
Hi there,

I spotted this bird in my garden this morning after looking out my window, and have spent the last hour trying to figure out what it is! Can anyone help me identify it please?
Tom
6767797C-8CF3-46E9-8820-326CB40CE4CC.jpeg

Andy Hurley

All nations have the right to govern themselves
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Welcome to Birdforum Tom. I think your bird is a female Chaffinch. It is difficult as the face and wing are hidden

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Tom,
welcome to birdforum!
Normally I would write, that this is a bird for quiz-modus, but I hesitate to write this, with a new member. I habve thought for other word to describe it, but as a non-native speaker, I am not good in this.
So I hope you are not offended, but this a the term I use, to explain, when a picture is to difficult for me to ger a sure ID. But there are others, who can jump in.

First impression: its a Finch or Sparrow.
Best looking Finch is a Greenfinch, they can look quite uniform coloured, but colour is the wrong brown for this species (but does the window results in a colour shift?). More, I would expect to see green or yellow-green in the wing and tail. And I got the impression that your birrd looks to compact and small for a Greenfinch.
So its either a Tree or House Sparrow. But which one? Folowing ponts are better for Tree imo:
-compact, small, short-tailed jizz
-little contrast between cap and flanks, both areas show a similar tone
-colour of the head is very good for a drab, pale Tree Sparrow, espacially when a picture through a window-effect is considered, that reduces contrast and adds a greyish overlay on the picture.
-shouldnt thr dark pattern and pale wing-bars be seen here, despite picture quality? I think, propably not, but I am not sure.

I dont see an European Robin, but its just a gut feeling.

Conclusion? I know, all the mentioned points cant be judged with certainty here, but I would say Tree Saprrow (or Greenfinch?), if I am forced to put a name to this bird.
Are there more pictures of this bird?

Alexander Stöhr

Yes, Andy, thannk you for that!
I thought a Chaffinch can be excluded by well visible black and white areas in the wing. They would be visible, even in a bad picture (you know, that my own pictures are even worser, normally), but, you may be right: we are looking on the breast of the bird here????

Andy Hurley

All nations have the right to govern themselves
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Yes, Andy, thannk you for that!
I thought a Chaffinch can be excluded by well visible black and white areas in the wing. They would be visible, even in a bad picture (you know, that my own pictures are even worser, normally), but, you may be right: we are looking on the breast of the bird here????
I think so, but I'm not sure which way the head is facing. If it is towards us and that is an eye then I think Chaffinch, but if it is looking away, then Im not so sure

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
It’s a male Chaffinch

You can even see the white outer tail feathers and black face patch (in winter the crown is a variable admix of grey and dark pink)

Last edited:

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum!

Looks like a male chaffinch to me too.

Tom_V

United Kingdom
Thanks for all your replies! I have a few more photos if these help however these are probably even worse quality!

Tom
DCB9510E-CF33-4C58-9531-C831A4AD86E0.jpeg

Attachments

• 6B01DAEF-BAB2-4E79-99F6-91A91863293B.jpeg
    6B01DAEF-BAB2-4E79-99F6-91A91863293B.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 93
  • BEA50CE1-6372-4D85-A7AA-0A8CD1ECD035.jpeg
    BEA50CE1-6372-4D85-A7AA-0A8CD1ECD035.jpeg
    8.1 MB · Views: 92
  • 786FF687-A41C-49E9-8F37-2525A0ABA3AC.jpeg
    786FF687-A41C-49E9-8F37-2525A0ABA3AC.jpeg
    8.8 MB · Views: 91
  • 0F785837-9F4A-4023-AB02-B44649A74067.jpeg
    0F785837-9F4A-4023-AB02-B44649A74067.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 91

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Tom and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Although I think it probably won't be identified with any certainty, I'm in the Chaffinch camp. That's if I'm looking at an angle I think I'm looking at LOL.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Alexander Stöhr

Wow,
this is one of the best (the best?) pitfall picture I have ever seen. Agree (of course) with Jay with the new pictures.
But even when knowing the right answer, I still struggle to see a Jay in the first picture. Only the, what appears now to be, black tail contrasting with brown body and head (yes, good colouration for a Jay) gives some hint, when knowing, that this has to be a Jay.

Thanks for sharing and to all others for the intersting and helpful answers!

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Wow,
this is one of the best (the best?) pitfall picture I have ever seen. Agree (of course) with Jay with the new pictures.
Totally agree Alex - we were all fooled by the first image - that was one of your famous ‘pitfall’ examples 🙂 The ‘pitfall’ here I think was the deceptive distance - it’s not until you see the shed and window from which the image is taken, that you realise how far away it is, then of course the only pinky buff UK bird that size is a Jay - Telephoto lenses! 😳

dantheman

Bah humbug
Nice! I had a weird inclination to say Siberian Jay on the first pic ;-) But being sensible couldn't disagree with Chaffinch.

Also in latter pics noted the fence post by the trellis for scale - probably standard 4" as opposed to 3", not that there is much doubt on the bird.

dantheman

Bah humbug
Going out on a bit of a limb here, but I am struggling a bit with it being a Jay on size ... I think that may just be an illusion/small individual here?

Users who are viewing this thread