• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new edition of Garrigues/Dean (1 Viewer)

Looking through the descriptions of the "used" copies, I wonder if they are really new copies that have a little damage to them. While the new edition has been out for a couple of weeks, I too would be surprised if anyone has any real "used" second editions.

These field guides had been offered in CR since little more than a month ago now, several people had been selling them here locally, I have 2 of them signed by Richard.

The new edition is definitely worth a look into. Updated and color-coded range maps, hundreds more illustrations, and descriptions for all of the country's species make it a valuable and much-needed update from the 2007 guide. So far I only notice that some images are printed a bit too dark.

The new edition is definitely worth a look into. Updated and color-coded range maps, hundreds more illustrations, and descriptions for all of the country's species make it a valuable and much-needed update from the 2007 guide.

Having recently received my copy, I concur. Well-done second edition; the authors & publishers are to be congratulated. Follows Clements nomenclature and a modified version of Clements sequence (departures inspired somewhat by a 2009 article in Birding by Howell); notably, falcons are retained among the other diurnal raptors; pigeons & doves, parrots and cuckoos are placed between the hummers & trogons; and perhaps most interestingly the passerine swallows are placed after the non-passerine swifts (also aerial foragers) and before the non-passerine hummers.

The three species relegated to an "additional species" page in the first edition have been inserted according to taxonomic affinities in the new edition; there are ten pages devoted to 56 "rarities". Note also that four pages are devoted to eight Cocos Island specialties not included in the main body of the guide.

Pelagic species have been added.

The "Anatomical Features" pages of the first edition are among the best I've seen in a guide, and I think they're even better in the new edition. New is a section on climate and topography, with interesting descriptions of six regions. Especially of value to birders visiting Costa Rica for the first time and birders looking to diversify their CR experience.

According to the preface, Dean supplied 360 new illustrations for this edition, replacing some from the first edition, supplementing primary illustrations, and depicting 64 species not originally illustrated. To my eye some of the brighter colors of the first edition are more subdued this time, though in most instances the differences are subtle (see Tawny-chested Flycatcher for one instance in which the differences are less so).

A good guide has been made better without sacrificing the essential virtue of compactness.

Gary H

Nice review Gary. I've been thumbing through my new copy and couldn't agree more. Now I just have to figure out when to give it some field use!

Now I just have to figure out when to give it some field use!

Agreed. It's a shame the folks at Zona Tropical don't seek out someone to do something comparable for Ecuador (or Colombia). I've just taken my second copy of the Ridgely/Greenfield field guide volume to a print shop to separate and rebind the plates. Assuming the Garrigues Dean ratio of pages to species, an Ecuador guide would require about 750 pages (compared to 424 for CR).

But that's a different forum! The first edition of Garrigues & Dean revolutionized CR field birding (at least for birders like me). This second edition is more evolutionary than revolutionary, but it will prove its worth in the field.

Gary H

I have first edition, so it will be until I get a reason (an upcoming trip) before I upgrade, I think. Still, it is good to know that there is a reason to upgrade when I get that far.

Re Ecuador, I was looking at the Field book vs the older field guide the other day. Some parts of the field book seemed OK (range maps right there = big plus) other drawings were relatively bad.

Niels

Re Ecuador, I was looking at the Field book vs the older field guide the other day. Some parts of the field book seemed OK (range maps right there = big plus) other drawings were relatively bad.

I'm counting on the fieldbook to hopefully put me on the right track, with a presumption that in some (many?) instances the references to diagnostic field marks will clinch an ID. But I fully expect that I'll be using the Ridgely/Greenfield plates as a more definitive resource (and will have the text available for additional reference after retiring to the lodge). I was hoping the Restall guide would be out earlier than Dec 2015; will be curious to see how field-friendly it is.

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back