• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New for 2019, Meopta Optika (1 Viewer)

Bob, you are correct, the Northern Goshawk is the logo of Swarovski Optik.

Jerry

Jerry,

I knew it was a Goshawk but I wasn't sure it was Accipiter gentilis. I remember reading somewhere [in Swarovski's literature, I think (?)] that it was an African Goshawk of some kind. Anybody who knows is welcome to jump in here!

Bob

It's definitely the Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis)

See the image, and read the history, straight from the Habicht's mouth, at: https://www.swarovskioptik.com/chasse/blog/SWAROVSKI_OPTIK_and_the_Northern_Goshawk_hunting

Also see the progression of the images used:
- a very early advert (pre-1952, and one I'd not seen before; from above)
- a 1952 advert (a frequently used image; from Gijs van Ginkel’s history of Swarovski Optik; for the link, see around 2/3's down the page: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verrekijkers/verrekijkers-testen-en-vergelijken/ )
- from around 1980 on, the current version with the hawk about to strike

John

Attachments

• Northern Goshawk.jpg
    Northern Goshawk.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Early Advert.jpg
    Early Advert.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1952 Advert.jpg
    1952 Advert.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Current version.jpg
    Current version.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Has anybody had a chance to review the Optika or compare to Meopro? I had a Meostar 10x42 hd that I liked, I was debating between picking up a set of these or Meopro for my wife

Go with the Meopro, otherwise try to view both, then return the one you like least. I got word yesterday from a vendor that the Optika fell short of the Meopro esp. in the 8X42. Could have been that specific sample FWIW. I always encourage anyone when buying an economical glass/low cost glass, make sure you get a good sample.

Andy W.

While we're huge fans of the MeoPro HD, we're not planning to stock the Optika at Optics4Birding. Neither close focus (8.2' on the 8x, 9.8' on the 10x) nor focusing speed make these binoculars birder friendly. Optically, they're nowhere as good as the MeoPro HDs.

Close focus not birder friendly? Which birds are you observing at 8 feet?:eek!:

Canip

I am a literal-minded person which sometimes irritates Troubadoris. I see that you are taking this literally too, this is probably why we agree about many things!

However I would gently point out that many birders are interested in much of the rest of nature and in-between the birds appearances, take a look at other creatures using close focus.

Folks with backyard bird feeders close to a window may like to use binos too.

Lee

Close focus not birder friendly? Which birds are you observing at 8 feet?:eek!:

As Lee said, we often look at other critters like butterflies and dragonflies. However, I've had both a MacGillivray's Warbler and a Sedge Wren hop over my feet, and once had a Townsend's Warbler sit on my knee on a pelagic trip.

While we're huge fans of the MeoPro HD, we're not planning to stock the Optika at Optics4Birding. Neither close focus (8.2' on the 8x, 9.8' on the 10x) nor focusing speed make these binoculars birder friendly. Optically, they're nowhere as good as the MeoPro HDs.

Steve:
You are just a simple seller, and you can choose to sell what you desire.

It is considered to be bad behavior, to promote a model you sell over another,
just because you say so.

From what I have gathered, the Optika would be the one I would consider,
otherwise the Meostar.

Jerry

Steve:
You are just a simple seller, and you can choose to sell what you desire.

It is considered to be bad behavior, to promote a model you sell over another,
just because you say so.

From what I have gathered, the Optika would be the one I would consider,
otherwise the Meostar.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I don't think it's bad behavior to say a higher-priced Meopta is better than a lower-priced Meopta. The price is higher because it's supposed to be better. If I had mentioned a competing brand at the same price level, I'd agree with you about bad behavior. If you've read our reviews, you should have noticed that we never mention a competing product. Each optic is judged on its own merit.

I don't think it's bad behavior to say a higher-priced Meopta is better than a lower-priced Meopta. ........

But to condemn the Optika by making false claims about it is!

My review sample was all packed up ready to return to Meopta, but I got it out again to double check the focus speed.... just for you! It has a very fast 300° degree between close focus and infinity not the 1080° you claimed in my review thread.

A while back I visited my local branch of a national birding optics company to check out what turned out to be a fairly disappointing new model. I asked the owner of the chain what he thought about it and he said "We never offer any opinion on any model. It would be quite unfair to our suppliers to influence customer decisions." I was a little surprised at the time, but I now see it makes perfect sense.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back