• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New for 2020 Meopta Meopro Air Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the info. I really hoped this would be the year for the Meostar update, but with that price tag it might be a serious contender. Anyone going to the SHOT show?

David

Last edited:
Well, it is priced like a high level like the Meostar, so I wonder about that. It has the open frame like
the China clones we are used to seeing.

Jerry

To makes thing a bit easier:
- enlarged copies of the 2 available images
- and the spec sheet

John

Attachments

• MeoAir 1.jpg
    MeoAir 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 405
  • MeoAir 2.jpg
    MeoAir 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 394
  • & Spec's.jpg
    & Spec's.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 622
Well, it is priced like a high level like the Meostar, so I wonder about that. It has the open frame like
the China clones we are used to seeing.

Jerry

It looks as though it has a pull-up dioptre adjuster on top of the focus wheel. So not the usual generic arrangement.

Lee

Official statement from Meopta is that his new model sits between MeoPro and MeoStar and was launched at SHOT show on Tuesday. Shipments will begin in March/April.

Lee

Always have had a soft spot for Meopta. My first binocular from them years ago was the 12x50 Meostar HD. I am looking forward to the release of this line.

I wonder what Meopta is up to, these are in the same ballpark regarding price as the Meostar.
So now we have the Optika to the Meopro then these Meopro air models with the Meostars. Is there going to be a new glass to replace the Meostar in the near future? Perhaps. Who knows these days.

Andy W.

I wonder what Meopta is up to, these are in the same ballpark regarding price as the Meostar.
So now we have the Optika to the Meopro then these Meopro air models with the Meostars. Is there going to be a new glass to replace the Meostar in the near future? Perhaps. Who knows these days.

Andy W.

We did see these at the SHOT Show.

Meopta is calling these the Air, dropping the MeoPro tag. The view is a definite improvement over the MeoPro HD. Meopta is trying to better penetrate the birding market, and the Air is aimed at birders with the 6' close focus compared to the 9.8' of the MeoStar B1 and 29 oz. compared to 31.4 oz.

We will be getting a 10x42 for review once they are released in late April or early May.

MeoStars will be reworked over the coming year but the details are not available yet.

Thanks for the info Steve, I am sure there will be curiosity about the new air models. I have the B1 in 7X42 and 8X42 and they are great performers to my eyes. The weight may be a hindrance for some, but not for others.

Andy W.

Thanks for the info Steve, I am sure there will be curiosity about the new air models. I have the B1 in 7X42 and 8X42 and they are great performers to my eyes. The weight may be a hindrance for some, but not for others.

Andy W.

Once I am looking through B1 or B1.1, I forget the weight.

Lee

Friends of mine who looed at these while at SHOT Show last week were very impressed. They loved the open design and ergonomics of the bino. They all said the glass was on a MeoStar level instead of MeoPro. All 5 guys did say this is a bino they would buy for their own use. I haven't seen them and doubt I will. I do love my MeoStar 10x42's and if I can shave a few ounces from around my neck, the 8x42's may be my next optics purchase. Meopta does have Mil/LE discounts in case you were unaware.

The 8X42 has a reported eye relief (ER) of 22mm, I know that is a reported number, nowadays not too many values being reported correctly. I hope there is sufficient eye cup range for the ER. These should be interesting for some one looking for a nice mid priced glass.

Andy W.

I only have one question about these. Where were they made? If they are made in China like the Meopros, then no thanks. Not for political reasons, but optical reasons. I have yet to find a pair of MIC bins that my eyes agree with.

I only have one question about these. Where were they made? If they are made in China like the Meopros, then no thanks. Not for political reasons, but optical reasons. I have yet to find a pair of MIC bins that my eyes agree with.

MeoPros are not made in China, it is not as simple as that. This is what the Product Development Manager at Meopta said about the MeoPros in an interview posted on Birdforum:

"T: Is true that MeoPro binoculars are made using out-sourced components?
M: Yes but the precise components and where these are sourced from can change over time. We have a ‘make or buy committee’ which discusses what is the most efficient combination of making ourselves or outsourcing, and ‘most efficient way’ doesn’t always mean the cheapest way. It depends on our own manufacturing capacity and what else we will be making. Anyway this difference is reflected in the MeoStar binoculars being marked ‘made in Czech Republic’ and MeoPro marked ‘assembled in Czech Republic’. But to be very clear, MeoPro design is engineered in-house and so is final inspection before shipping to the customer".​

In a soon to be posted new interview he confirmed that the comments above also apply to the new Air binos.
Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back