• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New gull book - photos requested (1 Viewer)

smiths

Hi all,
We are in the final stages of preparing a new identification guide for the gulls of the Western Palearctic.
We are now urgently looking for high quality photographs of specific plumages of various gull taxa.
We would be grateful if you could have a look at the list on http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1280 and we will show our gratitude by offering a free copy of the book to anyone whose image(s) we decide to include.
If you can help, please send your images at their original size (high resolution, suitable for printing) to [email protected] by 17 January 2021 the latest, preferably by http://www.wetransfer.com (a free online service for sending large files). Please also include your name in the filename of each photograph, so that we always know who took it.

Thank you! - and please share!

SlatybackedGull_(near)ad_Choshi_Japan_20120307_052.JPG

Steve Arlow used to have a website "A birders playground", which had some fantastic gull photos amongst other species. I don't know if he has seen this post or if he would be amenable to your request but he is a member here.

Some more info:

Title (preliminary): Gulls of the Western Palearctic
Authors: Peter Adriaens, Mars Muusse, Frédéric Jiguet and Philippe J. Dubois
Deals with all taxa that have been recorded at least once in the WP.
Includes a large collection of (modern day) photographs, on which key field marks are indicated with arrows and captioned (as in the Collin's Guide).
Includes also a large number of dedicated plates comparing similar taxa and plumages side by side.
Texts are delibaretely kept concise and to the point, with strong emphasis on identification characters.

That sounds exactly what I was hoping for. I suspect it will be joining my book collection at some future date.

What will it do that Olsen & Larsson doesn't? Tell me why I'd need to get this as well ;)

FWIW, it took me a few years to succumb to getting O&L, but glad in the end I did get it. It's a really good book, my only significant annoyance with it is that its coverage isn't global (it would have only needed 5 or 6 extra gulls for full coverage).

Olsen & Larsson is now 16 years old.
It contains many inaccuracies, including wrongly aged birds.
The texts are a lot longer, more descriptive and not easy to digest.
Tell me, for instance, after reading the chapter on American Herring Gull, do you feel that you can identify one?

Tell me, for instance, after reading the chapter on American Herring Gull, do you feel that you can identify one?
No!!

I have worked out a system of how it works, though:

If I see & take photos of an immature gull that does not look like a Herring Gull, when a gull expert looks at them, they are - invariably - Herring Gulls.

If someone else takes a photo of a gull, and labels it Yellow-legged Gull or Caspian Gull, I look at the photo, and it looks exactly like a Herring Gull.

Basic conclusion: ID of gulls works on the same basis as reaching Mornington Crescent. (y)

Hi all,
We are in the final stages of preparing a new identification guide for the gulls of the Western Palearctic.
We are now urgently looking for high quality photographs of specific plumages of various gull taxa.
We would be grateful if you could have a look at the list on http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1280 and we will show our gratitude by offering a free copy of the book to anyone whose image(s) we decide to include.
If you can help, please send your images at their original size (high resolution, suitable for printing) to [email protected] by 17 January 2021 the latest, preferably by http://www.wetransfer.com (a free online service for sending large files). Please also include your name in the filename of each photograph, so that we always know who took it.

Thank you! - and please share!

View attachment 1362115
When is the anticipated release date for this guide? Sounds very good.

So is it correct that it will be available in November this year in the UK? Really looking forward to this book!

pre ordered this from birdguides with member discount, just checked princetown website and its publish date is now 14th december 2021

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back