• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New here, happened upon the conquest HD 8x32. (1 Viewer)

Raym0016

United States
Hi all, I wanted to give you all a quick story about how I landed here. I am what you may consider a serial hobbyist. I had been thinking about birdwatching for a while and have always had tried to keep my 2-3 feeders fresh and we even attract our fair share of hummingbirds in the summer (Minnesota). I had recently been getting deeper into it, doing more research, enhancing and adding to our feeders, building an Owl box for my back woods in the hopes of enticing our neighborhood barred owl to nest, etc. All of that birdwatching requires some binoculars so I decided to try a pair of vortex diamondback 10x42 which I quickly returned And replaced with the viper he 10x42. I wanted to try the smaller form factor and ended up with diamondbacks again but this time 8x32. For a few weeks I have been hitting up every brick and mortar with binoculars in the 50 mile range. I have tried most. I was content with my vipers but I wanted something smaller than the vipers but the same level of quality (or better). When I finally found a local outdoor store with conquest HD 8x32 in stock. I tried them for a while among some CL 8x30’s and EL 8x42 (I think). The conquest has some quirks but I was sold on the view. It was exactly what I was looking for. They just clicked for me. So I decided to return both my vipers and my 8x32 diamondbacks as to not elicit weird looks from my wife keeping all 3 (all of this has happened in the last 4-5 weeks.) I luckily have bought from places with good return policies. I have decided that if money were no object, I’d get the NL pure 8x32, but alas, money is an object and I think I found “my” binoculars in the conquest HD 8x32.

ETA: I think the eye cups fit ok but I can’t help but think slightly longer ones would be perfect. Is contacting Zeiss for the longer ones still a proper approach?

Last edited:
Ray, if you think the eyecups fit ok why do you think slighty longer ones would be better? You don't give any detail about what you see that prompts you to think longer eyecups would be an improvement. This sounds rather like an anxiety that somehow you might be missing out on something just because Zeiss does offer replacement longer eyecups.
If your eyes are too close to the exit pupil (and therefore you would need longer eyecups to move your eyes further away) then you should be seeing weird shadows appearing in the view that some call kidney beans. If you are seeing these every time you look through the binos then longer eyecups would help but if this effect isn't always present to the same degree, do check that your IPD is set correctly because if your own pupils are misaligned with the binos exit pupils you can get similar effects. You don't mention wearing spectacles when using your binos but if you do and you are getting kidney beans then you should check that you are accurately aligning your binos with your eyes. I wear specs and I occasionally bring the binos up to the wrong place on my specs and this again means my eyes are not aligned with the EP.

Don't forget that if the longer eyecups push your eyes too far away from the exit pupil it is likely you will not be able to see the full field of view.

Conquest HD 8x32 is one of my all-time favourite binos and I have mine with me right now on the Isle of Islay. Good luck with yours and if you need to discuss this further we can do it by personal message.

Lee

Ray, if you think the eyecups fit ok why do you think slighty longer ones would be better? You don't give any detail about what you see that prompts you to think longer eyecups would be an improvement. This sounds rather like an anxiety that somehow you might be missing out on something just because Zeiss does offer replacement longer eyecups.
If your eyes are too close to the exit pupil (and therefore you would need longer eyecups to move your eyes further away) then you should be seeing weird shadows appearing in the view that some call kidney beans. If you are seeing these every time you look through the binos then longer eyecups would help but if this effect isn't always present to the same degree, do check that your IPD is set correctly because if your own pupils are misaligned with the binos exit pupils you can get similar effects. You don't mention wearing spectacles when using your binos but if you do and you are getting kidney beans then you should check that you are accurately aligning your binos with your eyes. I wear specs and I occasionally bring the binos up to the wrong place on my specs and this again means my eyes are not aligned with the EP.

Don't forget that if the longer eyecups push your eyes too far away from the exit pupil it is likely you will not be able to see the full field of view.

Conquest HD 8x32 is one of my all-time favourite binos and I have mine with me right now on the Isle of Islay. Good luck with yours and if you need to discuss this further we can do it by personal message.

Lee

Hi Lee, thank you for your reply. In order to avoid "kidney beans" I need to rest the binoculars on the inside of the top of my eye socket, just under my eye brows. I can get it right fairly easily but I can't help but think just a few MM longer would make them perfect.

Hi Lee, thank you for your reply. In order to avoid "kidney beans" I need to rest the binoculars on the inside of the top of my eye socket, just under my eye brows. I can get it right fairly easily but I can't help but think just a few MM longer would make them perfect.
OK, then I recommend you contact Zeiss's official UK repair engineer, Gary Hawkins at Binocular Repair Services For All Makes of Binoculars and Telescopes and ask him for a set of the longer eyecups which ar FOC. When you take off the old eyecups I would stick your fingers up the inside of these, from the bottom end, and splay your fingers out to hold the inside component still, while you screw the outer most part back down so that the eyecup is in its shortest length configuration. This not only reduces contamination reaching the insides of the eyecup it makes it easier to screw the eyecups back onto the bino should you wish to do this at some point.

Cheers Lee

OK, then I recommend you contact Zeiss's official UK repair engineer, Gary Hawkins at Binocular Repair Services For All Makes of Binoculars and Telescopes and ask him for a set of the longer eyecups which ar FOC. When you take off the old eyecups I would stick your fingers up the inside of these, from the bottom end, and splay your fingers out to hold the inside component still, while you screw the outer most part back down so that the eyecup is in its shortest length configuration. This not only reduces contamination reaching the insides of the eyecup it makes it easier to screw the eyecups back onto the bino should you wish to do this at some point.

Cheers Lee
Hi, one last clarification. I am in the US. Who do I contact in that case? I have called and sent an email to Zeiss US consumer optics. The phone call ended in me leaving a message for what seemed like an individual.

Hi, one last clarification. I am in the US. Who do I contact in that case? I have called and sent an email to Zeiss US consumer optics. The phone call ended in me leaving a message for what seemed like an individual.
Hi

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but I think it quite possible that if you email Gary Hawkins via their web site as above they will just put some eyecups in an envelope to you. There actually is a normal postal airmail service from the UK to the US, and it takes less than a week AFAIK.

And if they can't do it they will probably be able to tell you who is responsible for this on your side.

Edmund

Hi

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but I think it quite possible that if you email Gary Hawkins via their web site as above they will just put some eyecups in an envelope to you. There actually is a normal postal airmail service from the UK to the US, and it takes less than a week AFAIK.

And if they can't do it they will probably be able to tell you who is responsible for this on your side.

Edmund
I just got off the phone with us Zeiss support and a kind gentleman took down my information and is having them sent asap. Nice!

I had the exact same issue with the Conquest 8x32s and the slightly longer eyecups solved that issue for me. Now, I can practically jam my eyes into the eyecups without any kidney beaning problems. Zeiss sent the longer eyecups to me for no cost shortly after I bought mine all those years ago from Eagle Optics. IIRC, others made similar complaints and Zeiss developed the longer eyecups for that model. Lee might recall the story as he was around here long before I.

Abject apologies for having missed your stars and stripes. Glad you have now got eyecups on their way to you.

Lee

The Conquest HD 8x32s are flat out outstanding bins. They seem to work better for some than others, but if they work, they really work. I love mine, had them ten years, and will never get rid of them. And I have several other alphas.

Quick update. I just recieved and installed the extended eyecups. I think something really special will have to entice me to move on from these now. I have zero problem finding the sweet spot, it's intuitive now. No kindey beans, or black outs, or anything of the sort, just a clear unobstructed view regardless of whether I am panning quickly, stationary, holding with one hand, etc. These are perfect for me now.

Quick update. I just recieved and installed the extended eyecups. I think something really special will have to entice me to move on from these now. I have zero problem finding the sweet spot, it's intuitive now. No kindey beans, or black outs, or anything of the sort, just a clear unobstructed view regardless of whether I am panning quickly, stationary, holding with one hand, etc. These are perfect for me now.
My experience too.

My extended eyecups lasted about 3 months before each one split and fell off. I didn’t abuse them in any way. Nice of them to send them free of charge but I fear on the basis of my experience, they were not up to the job.

My extended eyecups lasted about 3 months before each one split and fell off. I didn’t abuse them in any way. Nice of them to send them free of charge but I fear on the basis of my experience, they were not up to the job.
Unless they changed the manufacturing of them, mine are still solid around 8-10 years later. My most used bins as well.

@Raym0016 - congratulations! You've made a choice that so many before you have made and with great pleasure. They are extremely popular binoculars, for many good reasons which I need not go into.

I've had my 8x32 Conquest HD for going on 8 great years and only just recently decided to step into some alphas. Not because I felt anything lacking from the Conquest HDs, but just because I wanted to check out the alphas. Still keeping the Conquest HDs, of course, they're life-long keepers! No doubt they will serve you wonderfully for a great many years. (I got the extended eyecups back when I bought them.)

Very strange. Like CSG's mine are still going strong after years of use including regularly getting laid on while I take ground-level photos of flowers.

Lee

Hmmm...

In nearly 8 years of using my 8x32 Conquest HDs, with the extended eyecups, I've had no issues whatsoever regarding the eyecups, nor any other aspect of the binoculars.

@Raym0016 - congratulations! You've made a choice that so many before you have made and with great pleasure. They are extremely popular binoculars, for many good reasons which I need not go into.

I've had my 8x32 Conquest HD for going on 8 great years and only just recently decided to step into some alphas. Not because I felt anything lacking from the Conquest HDs, but just because I wanted to check out the alphas. Still keeping the Conquest HDs, of course, they're life-long keepers! No doubt they will serve you wonderfully for a great many years. (I got the extended eyecups back when I bought them.)
FWIW, the Conquest HD 8x32s are alphas in all regards except price, IMO...I grab them so often, ahead of $2k+ bins...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back