• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Kowa products 2021? (1 Viewer)

Ugh I just purchased an 883. There will always be a bigger kid on the block. But, I'm of an age where delay is no longer a viable option.

I passed on the big swaro scopes when I purchased my 883. Part of it was sticker price. Part of it was how impressed I was, and continue to be, with the Kowa 883.

But, this will be interesting to watch. My question is - will it add bulk and weight compared to the 883? The first thing that attracted me to the 883 was the glorious view. But, now that I have it, I realize that for a full size scope it is very compact and fairly light weight. For me, that makes it unnecessary to own a smaller scope for wilderness trips. The 883 seems just right to me. It lands right in the sweet spot.

I would have been nice to see eg. 30x-90x or similar available :)
Is there any info about the focal length of the scope?
Kowa might follow Swaro and increase focal length. I can see it like a 31-75x zoom. Although I would prefer a 38-90x zoom, I think it probably will not happen.
And yes, I would prefer a 30-90x zoom, has I used on my Optolyth 100, but wide angled - if it could be a bit wider angled than the present zoom, to reply also to Zeiss...;)
Edit: - just saw the Binomania post and it's a 30-70x zoom, as Swaro...

Last edited:
There is a new zoom and a fixed. The zoom is 30-70x.
The angled scope looks to be about an inch and a half longer than the 883 and just shy of four pounds.

APM are releasing a very wide angle new zoom, wonder if it’ll fit with respect to focus travel. Would be very interesting if it did…. Being able to use 1.25” eyepieces means you can use “proper” eyepieces in it… always welcome!
Peter

The TE 80-XW might be useful for those that still don't "believe" on wide angled zooms. It's the widest angled eyepiece from a spotting scope but we have to see how much it will cost... The are several astronomical eyepieces with >80º useful for birding and some aren't very expensive.
It would be very interesting if the Kowa 99 would reach focus with the Nikon HW 12.5/10 i.e. if Kowa would thought of it and enlarge the focus range, when compared to the 88 model...

First prices I've seen are up on Cameraland's website. Body $3250, zoom $749, 40x Wide $699.

Focal length appears to be about 571 mm if the long held assumption that the FL of the 88 is about 500 mm is correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back