• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

New Maven B.6 10x50: A brief comparative review (3 Viewers)

Demarki

France
Re APM vs. Fujinon: brightness is very comparable in my eyes; the APM mostly wins in CA correction - and in price, of course!

So if I understood correctly, the APM slightly outperforms the Fujinon while costing half as much? Sounds too good to be true...

Canip

Well, it is what it is. The APM is basically a clone of the Fuji, and it is made in China, the Fuji in Japan.
However, the Fuji is extremely robust and has been known to last forever - we will have to see in ten years whether the same is true for the APM.

AlphaFan

United States
Catnip,

Thanks for your wonderfully detailed and comprehensively comparative review.

I’ve personally owned a plethora of alpha and near-alpha binoculars (Dialyts, Trinovid BAs, Victory FL and SF, SLCs, MHGs, and others) over the years but will admit to not much experience in 50mm objective and above. But I’m very curious and interested in possibly adding a set. Since I’m fairly sensitive to globe-effect I’m probably not in the market for the ELs. However, it would be a great help if you could go into a bit more detail on your comparative assessment of the image quality/characteristics between the 10x50 UHD+ and the B6. Which image do you personally find more satisfying?

Canip

AlphaFan,

that is a tough question.

I love the 50mm Ultravids - 8x, 10x and 12x -, they probably will be among the few that I keep when I some day get rid of my large collection of binoculars.
I find them mechanically AND optically superb, I like the industrial design of the Ultravids more than all the other premium binos. Of course, the EL SV 10x50 „beats“ the UV in some regards, and I understand that many prefer the ultrasharp, crisp and bright image of the EL SV over the slightly more „settled“, color saturated image of the UV. Question of personal preference, really. I don‘t mind using either.
And then comes along a newcomer from Maven not even half the UV’s price and impresses with premium image qualities and characteristics reminding me of the UV. The image in the Maven appears slightly „more white“, but otherwise, the images in both are very comparable, I honestly couldn‘t say that one appears sharper or more contrasty than the other.
Panning charactersistics are similar.
The small difference in FOV is only noticeable if you look for it.
The Maven is slightly more compact and noticeably lighter than the UV.

Nothing for me beats the UV HD+ as an „overall package“, but I couldn‘ t say that I find its image more satisfying than the one in the Maven (which, I know, is a huge compliment for the Maven).

Canip

AlphaFan

United States
Thanks for the detailed feedback - precisely what I was looking for. In my time with the Maven B1.2 8x42 also noticed the “whiteness“ of the image compared to some other binoculars like the MHG, SLC, etc. In my case the comparisons mostly took place in wooded environments with tremendous variations in light. Overall, I found the Mavens offered very good brightness and resolution, but colors were somewhat less vivid. Otherwise it was a superb binocular in most respects, especially at the $1k and under pricepoint.

AlphaFan

United States
Bought a new Maven B6 10x50 that arrived on Friday. Played with it a bit on Friday and took it to a local bay on Saturday to do some waterfowl viewing. It proved to be a target-rich environment with plenty of Scaups, Ruddys, Canvasbacks, Wigeons, Gadwalls, Coots, and a host of others. The Mavens offered some wonderfully crisp, detailed views. Colors are fairly neutral, yet sufficiently saturated and the image very bright. I won‘t rehash all of Catnip’s detailed observations other than to say, “I agree.” Some additional observations/thoughts:

0BD3BDED-44F5-4FDF-88E1-E4D9BE191F4E.jpeg

Form Factor - Maven accomplished something special by engineering a 50mm binocular into the general size-weight range of a 42mm. The first thing I noticed was the compactness of the design which should appeal to both birders and hunters. The build quality and haptics are first rate and I really like the feel of the armor. Overall handling characteristics of the slightly heavier Maven are not quite as easy or ”light-in-the-hand“ as the SLC or the SF, but they handled/balanced very well and offered a steady hold. As a 50mm they exceeded my expectations in this regard. The only form negative is the very small space between the barrels - as presented in the video in post #23 it is barely sufficient to attach a tripod stud.

Some Additional Subjective View Observations - while observing large groups of waterfowl I did quite a bit of panning which was very comfortable with the Maven. This is not a flat-field design but there is a large sweet-spot, so the 6.5 degree FOV doesn’t feel at all restrictive. Someone will eventually measure its depth of field but subjectively it appeared quite good. While viewing a wide variety of ducks, even at some extreme distances, I was able to consistently pull a very satisfying level of detail from the image. My eyes do prefer the colors offered by the SF and SLC over the Maven - but at this time I’m uncertain if this is due to overall saturation level or just preference in tone. Lastly, as a 50mm the Maven clearly outlasted both the SF and SLC in low light performance - focusing on distant tree bark in the shadows I could clearly distinguish patterns and detail a few minutes longer with the Maven.

Out of the gate I’m very impressed with the B6. To me it is a significant improvement over the B2 in both optics and form. Just offering my initial impressions, but this one is looking like a keeper.

dries1

I take it that the SF and SLC are 10X42 for reference, the pic says a lot on the compact size of the maven for a 10X50.

Steve C

These observations of the Maven are pretty well in synch with my impressions of the unit I had for awhile. Maven offers a top quality lineup of glass.

As for the comments on color preference, I think it is hard to separate contrast, saturation, and image color bias. They all three link hand in hand with transmission, and how well they balance for a particular user will largely determine the level of user satisfaction.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread