• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New member looking for camera, spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Leechap

Hi

I am a new member, and pretty new to birdwatching.

I have been regularly feeding and observing garden birds, but wanted to branch out into the wider community. I live in North Sheffield, UK, and I'm looking for a second hand DSLR camera, and or maybe spotting scope to get me started. I Didn't want to go mad with cost as only just starting out and getting used to it.

Would welcome any advice or help, and if there are any groups people, etc local to me for help or advice or items for sale.

Thank you

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Leechap and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Cameras forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

You may also get some advice in there about a suitable 'scope, though you may want to start a separate thread in the Spotting Scopes.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
Hi there Leechap

Welcome to BirdForum, hope you enjoy things here.

There is a thread for all things Yorkshire located HERE

I am not too knowledgeable about your part of Yorkshire but not too far away is In Focus, located in Denby Dale. They have a used section that often has good scopes at very reasonable prices. I have traded in scopes with them in the past.

DSLR cameras are probably not going to be a cheap option as it is not the camera but the lens that costs the money - I use a Canon 750D that cost me half the price of the Sigma 150-600mm lens that goes on it. It would be more cost effective to consider a bridge camera initially. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ72 which is my holiday camera - much easier to take abroad than the DSLR. There are other bridge cameras around that are as good if not better than mine (which is a little old now). There are examples of both my cameras in muy gallaery pages.

When things return to normal keep a look out for threads title Tyke Meet or Yorkshire Meet - they are the Yorkshire guys and gals getting together for a day's birding.

Leechap

Hi Delia, Keith

Thanks for the response/advice. I have managed to find the Yorkshire forum so have also posted in there.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I would support considering an option of a bridge camera to start with. Then you can add the weight and cost of a DSLR/mirrorless when you know for sure you are bitten by the bug of photo taking.

Niels

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Staff member
Supporter
Wales
Hi Lee and welcome to BirdForum. I see you’ve had some me good advice already. Keep an eye on the classifieds here. There can be some good items. I bought my bins secondhand (EBay) and have been really pleased with them.

As far as Bridge Cameras go the Nikon P series have a good reputation here.

Rich

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Rich said:
As far as Bridge Cameras go the Nikon P series have a good reputation here.

Indeed, I purchased the Nikon P900 (second hand) in October and have been delighted with it. The zoom is so good I don't often need to use the scope any more. That will likely change though, when (if) I can ever sit in a hide again.

You can see some of my pictures in the Gallery. (Click on my name beside this post, select View this user's Gallery from the drop down list).

Leechap

Thanks Delia

Just had a look a the camera and does look like a serious piece of kit. Not sure I'm ready just yet to invest at that level. I've seen a canon powershot SX430 IS for £90, and thought it may be a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread