• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member, more active now! (1 Viewer)

fluffhead

HI Everyone,

I joined last year but I was traveling so I didn't have much time to invest in the site. Now I am in Tanzania and enjoying the wonderful bird life here (though inactive forum). I created a blog to follow our birding adventures and hopefully encourage people to join is if they choose to take a trip down here.

moshibirdclub.wordpress.com

EDIT::

I also want to say I'm a latecomer to birding! My partner is a wildlife biologist and she specializes in raptors. I only got interested in birding when living in Nigeria and observing pin-tailed whydahs and nightjars. I was intrigued by nightjar's behavior of flying straight towards my motorcycle at night and I later learned they can't change direction immediately after take off. I was also amazed at the transformation of male whydahs and a bit embarrassed that I hadn't attributed it to breeding season; I thought they had just arrived from somewhere else!

Since then my partner and I have enjoyed birding excursions. I've learned a lot about bird ID and I have a particular interest in bird behaviors. I am not the kind of birder that just ticks birds off a list; I want to observe their behavior and know their character. I've already "squandered" some pretty prime birding in my life (lived in SE Asia, South America, Caribbean and have traveled extensively) so it's nice to come to peace with "missed" species counts and just enjoy the birds as they come.

Embarrassingly, I still don't have a pair of binoculars, but I should be able to afford some shortly. It's funny because I act as the "spotter" and my partner IDs them and then passes them to me for a look. I often see them as they're flying off but I don't mind! I've learned enough to know that if I ever own a pair of Swarovski's, it will mean I've truly made it!

happy birding everyone!

Last edited:
On behalf of staff and moderators a warm welcome to Birdforum.:t:

I love Africa. Fascinating continent and of course a brilliant place to go birding!

Hi Fluffhead and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back