• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Member Odd bird identification help (1 Viewer)

broomjob

Hello folks,

I am a new member in central New Hampshire, USA. I am reaching out as there has been a very odd bird visiting the area under my feeder for the last two day.

I have been totally baffled in my attempts to identify the bird in various field guides and online. I have attached photos of the bird for review.

The animal is between the size of an oriole and a robin, is very vocal with a regular loud PEEEEEP. In flight the bird has striking red shoulders and a striped tail. Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 5

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
Welcome to BirdForum. I think your bird is a Red-winged Blackbird, but it has leucism which has led to the white patches in the plumage you can see.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

The red shoulders are making me wonder if this is a leucistic Red-winged Blackbird but I truly can't verify that for you so I am moving your thread to the I D section and have subscribed you to the thread so that you will get email notifications anytime someone posts to that thread.

leucistic =a condition in which there is partial loss of pigmentation in an animal—which causes white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, feathers.

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
As I said on your other thread, you photographed a Red-winged Blackbird with partial albinism.

Users who are viewing this thread