• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New "MY Junior" 7x28 aimed at kids (4 Viewers)

tx2ad

United States
Did anyone else see this? I got an email today announcing it.

I looked around and didn't see anyone else mention it - sorry if this is a repeat.

Don't ask me how that's possible.
I wonder whether that could be related to the very small FOV... trying to keep everything sharp? It must seem very narrow in use, Jan?
(Interestingly, FOV is exactly the same as on the old SLC 7x30. You might just have one; how do they compare?)

Well, strangly enough, I have one (right 1.5 diopter) and through this bin left and right the view is sharp.
Don't ask me how that's possible. We got three samples and each one acts the same for me.
Same here, on almost all of my binos I need to adjust the diopter by between 0.5 and 1.5 dpt, but I don't feel the need with the Junior, whatever the reason (my optics dealer was equally puzzled).
Pleasant easy-going bino with no immediately noticeable flaws, a pleasure to use, field of view narrower than I usually like, but I am pretty sure that's a good thing with kids.
When I asked my optics dealer about the target group, he said "children with rich parents or grand-parents, and optics nerds like you".

Last edited:
Well, strangly enough, I have one (right 1.5 diopter) and through this bin left and right the view is sharp.
Don't ask me how that's possible. We got three samples and each one acts the same for me.

Same here, on almost all of my binos I need to adjust the diopter by between 0.5 and 1.5 dpt, but I don't feel the need with the Junior, whatever the reason (my optics dealer was equally puzzled).
This should not be possible. 1.5 dpt isn't that much difference but enough that left and right shouldn't look equally sharp. Kids and young people should be able to use their accomodation to achieve that without causing eye strain, but certainly not "older" people. I've got no explanation for this.

If I had a Baby Swaro (and no, I won't get one ...) I'd try checking various resolution targets to determine whether the view is really equally sharp left and right. I'd also try to use the binocular for longer periods of time to see if it causes eye strain.

Hermann

This should not be possible. 1.5 dpt isn't that much difference but enough that left and right shouldn't look equally sharp. Kids and young people should be able to use their accomodation to achieve that without causing eye strain, but certainly not "older" people. I've got no explanation for this.

If I had a Baby Swaro (and no, I won't get one ...) I'd try checking various resolution targets to determine whether the view is really equally sharp left and right. I'd also try to use the binocular for longer periods of time to see if it causes eye strain.

Hermann
Hermann,

Do you really expect me, as an adult, to walk around in public with a candy color bino in the nature?
What about........ I send you one, free of charge, and you test it for as long as you wish in the free nature!!!!!!

Jan

try checking various resolution targets to determine whether the view is really equally sharp left and right.
It is.
see if it causes eye strain.
It doesn‘t.
I have been using it today out in the fields. A bit more field of view would be welcome, 50 degrees AFOV isn't huge (but I am pretty sure for kids it's better the way it is), otherwise a pleasure to use. Nice sharpness, bright image, natural colors, little CA, even stray-light is quite well controlled (a tiny bit of reflections from bright light sources just outside the FOV, but no spikes - not even rainbow spikes;), tubes appear well baffled, see pic), the focuser feels just a bit "gummy" but otherwise works fine, eyecups (in, out, 1 intermediate click-stop) hold their position well; eye relief is not huge (I measure 13.5 mm usable), but might be okay for most kids glasses. Very good ergonomics for my smallish hands, haptics are okay (the armour feels a bit plasticky).
Overall an attractive bino even for big kids like me.

Attachments

• IMG_6448.jpg
    IMG_6448.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
1.5 dpt isn't that much difference but enough that left and right shouldn't look equally sharp.

You bring up an interesting point, Hermann:

Why is the need to adjust the diopter not the same in all my binoculars? As mentioned, it varies for me between 0.5 and 1.5 dpt, depending on which bino I use.
Of course, not all binos exhibit the correct amount of adjustment (and the right „0“ position ) on their scale (usually on the right eyepiece, often also on the central focusing wheel). But even with those which do, I use different amounts of diopter adjustment. The interface binocular / eye is ever so complex. Stuff for another thread …..

Do you really expect me, as an adult, to walk around in public with a candy color bino in the nature?
Why not? It's all in the name of science, isn't it? :cool:
What about........ I send you one, free of charge, and you test it for as long as you wish in the free nature!!!!!!
Thank you very much for your kind offer. Unfortunately I'm too busy at the moment I'm afraid - family stuff, preparations for our holiday and so on. But I might come back to you sometime in July when we're back ... :cool:

Hermann

I have been using it today out in the fields. A bit more field of view would be welcome, 50 degrees AFOV isn't huge (but I am pretty sure for kids it's better the way it is), otherwise a pleasure to use. Nice sharpness, bright image, natural colors, little CA, even stray-light is quite well controlled (a tiny bit of reflections from bright light sources just outside the FOV, but no spikes - not even rainbow spikes;), tubes appear well baffled, see pic), the focuser feels just a bit "gummy" but otherwise works fine, eyecups (in, out, 1 intermediate click-stop) hold their position well; eye relief is not huge (I measure 13.5 mm usable), but might be okay for most kids glasses. Very good ergonomics for my smallish hands, haptics are okay (the armour feels a bit plasticky).
Overall an attractive bino even for big kids like me.
Sounds like the Baby Swaro is quite a nice pair.

However, I'd still love to know why it works for you and Jan without any diopter adjustment. And it would be interesting to know how large the difference between the eyes can be before things go astray. So 1.5 diopters difference obviously works - what about larger differences? Is it the same for + and -? Lots of questions ...
Why is the need to adjust the diopter not the same in all my binoculars? As mentioned, it varies for me between 0.5 and 1.5 dpt, depending on which bino I use.
Of course, not all binos exhibit the correct amount of adjustment (and the right „0“ position ) on their scale (usually on the right eyepiece, often also on the central focusing wheel). But even with those which do, I use different amounts of diopter adjustment. The interface binocular / eye is ever so complex. Stuff for another thread …..
Same experience here. I've got again no explanation as to what is happening. And I only rarely see any references to this phenomenon.

Other things are easier to explain: I find the amount of adjustment I need with the same pair varies a bit, sometimes during the course of a day. That probably depends on how tired I am and on how many hours I've been in the field. It may also depend on the light levels. And so on.

You're right: The binocular / eye interface is really, really complex.

Hermann

Maybe the good folks from the PRC have outdone Steiner and actually delivered a "Sports Auto Focus"? :ROFLMAO:

(wait... is that breeze I feel *** gathering himself for an almighty huff?)
it varies for me between 0.5 and 1.5 dpt, depending on which bino I use.
Of course, not all binos exhibit the correct amount of adjustment (and the right „0“ position ) on their scale (usually on the right eyepiece, often also on the central focusing wheel). But even with those which do, I use different amounts of diopter adjustment.
I find the amount of adjustment I need with the same pair varies a bit, sometimes during the course of a day. That probably depends on how tired I am and on how many hours I've been in the field. It may also depend on the light levels. And so on.

Interesting stuff and, to compare with my own experience - for those binoculars that have a diopter scale (old porros etc) I normally have to adjust the right eyepiece a little (I think 0.5 dpt) less, which reflects the vision in my left eye being slightly worse. Even when using glasses the right eyepiece diopter has to be slightly adjusted from 0. My experience is similar to Hermann's in that over the course of the day I need to fine tune the right eyepiece, but much more so when using short eye relief binoculars without glasses. With long eye relief I can normally leave it once set. It's definitely down to eye fatigue, I think, and glasses (and also flat field, in my experience) help alleviate this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back