• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon 82mm object lens scope (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Hi,
Has anyone tried out the new Nikon scope. I have wanted to check one out but each time I have visited the local dealer he has sold out. However, last week he had one left and I took a look thru with a zoom lens (to 75x). The scope appeared to be pretty good at middle distance viewing and fantastic at long range(infinity) viewing. I realised the problem was when I was looking thru a glass window. With no glass between the scope and object, it seemed a fantastic scope. Anybody have any experience of this new scope?

75X seems pretty amazing but it would need to be at least 80mm to avoid any loss in quality at that zzoom strength wouldn't it?

Hi KC,
I don't have a full price range to hand but I have just been looking at the price for one option. For example, by searching the internet I find a couple of companies in America which will do the ED82 with the 25x-75x eyepiece for just over £750 whereas in the UK, all the retailers I have noted asked around £1080. The American retailers do seem to have a delay in shipping of sometimes up to 30 days and sometimes 4 to 5 months!! I have seen a note to say that there is a limited availability from Nikon at the moment which explains the delay. Assuming that a retailer in America has one in stock it would be better to get a cheap air ticket and go and get one and still better the UK price easily. Alternatively the shipping cost to the UK is around $30 to $40 which is fine as well.

Colin,
Go one better. Take the cheap air fare to come pick up the scope and then take advantage of the trip to use the scope and add to your life list while in the States!

I can't comment on this new scope, but I have the Nikon Fieldscope III ED 60 and it is brilliant.

Dave,
I simply cannot afford any of them but I have also looked through the EDIII and yes I have to agree, it is a bit good. :t:

I had a look at this scope at Cley-Spy (which I highly recommend) and was able to compare it with the large OG Zeiss & Swarovski scopes. At fixed magnification I found very little between them- Nikon & Swarovski were a draw with Zeiss marginally less sharp & contrasty (but brighter). With a zoom the Swarovski had the edge but it was marginal,
John

One note of caution. For several years I've used the Nikon Fieldscope III ED 60 mm with both fixed focus wide angles eyepieces and Nikons 20x60 zoom. This zoom on the Nikon 82 mm scope, as mentioned above, provides a magnification of 25 to 75.

If you must use eyeglasses when scoping the zoom is not particularly eyeglass friendly as its' eye-relief is relatively short.

I can't fault the zooms sharpness, as I use it with an adapter on an astronomy telescope at magnifications well above 100x and obtain pinpoint star images.

Bob

Colin said:
Hi KC,
I don't have a full price range to hand but I have just been looking at the price for one option. For example, by searching the internet I find a couple of companies in America which will do the ED82 with the 25x-75x eyepiece for just over £750 whereas in the UK, all the retailers I have noted asked around £1080. The American retailers do seem to have a delay in shipping of sometimes up to 30 days and sometimes 4 to 5 months!! I have seen a note to say that there is a limited availability from Nikon at the moment which explains the delay. Assuming that a retailer in America has one in stock it would be better to get a cheap air ticket and go and get one and still better the UK price easily. Alternatively the shipping cost to the UK is around $30 to $40 which is fine as well.

The problem with buying from the USA is the duty that needs to be paid. If done legally, Duty, VAT et all. Would the costs difference be that dramatic?

Osprey

I just bought one from In Focus at Rutland Water and was watching a pair of long-tailed ducks in poor late afternoon light alongside a friend with an 80mm ED Swarovski. Neither of us could tell any difference in brightness or sharpness - but it's £300+ pounds cheaper so can't be bad! A bit heavier though.

In a way sadly, but yes - In Focus certainly had a batch of seconds in their stock of Opticron ES80s (four in all!) and so, as I am lucky to have two days in Norfolk next week I thought, "What the heck" And went for the Nikon.

I think I made a wise choice, all things considered but still feel that a good ES80 is one heck of a bargain scope (well - if £550 can be such a thing as a bargain at all).

Osprey said:
The problem with buying from the USA is the duty that needs to be paid. If done legally, Duty, VAT et all. Would the costs difference be that dramatic?

Osprey

Allow ~£50 shipping by UPS/similar, VAT at 17.5%, and a couple of customs charges, so a reasonable estimate is £950. And then there are the currency conversion costs which will take us even closer to £1000. So you might save ~£100.

And then of course if the unit is faulty, that's another £50 to ship it back to the supplier.

I've bought several 35mm lenses and extension tubes from the States, one lens and the tubes by mail order, and the other lens I picked up while on a business trip. I recently sold the extension tubes for what I paid for them, and could do the same with the lens I picked up on business.

Oddly enough grey market camera lenses can be bought in the UK at substantial savings but there is no such equivalent for scopes (and bins).

Bob D said:
One note of caution. For several years I've used the Nikon Fieldscope III ED 60 mm with both fixed focus wide angles eyepieces and Nikons 20x60 zoom. This zoom on the Nikon 82 mm scope, as mentioned above, provides a magnification of 25 to 75.

If you must use eyeglasses when scoping the zoom is not particularly eyeglass friendly as its' eye-relief is relatively short.

I can't fault the zooms sharpness, as I use it with an adapter on an astronomy telescope at magnifications well above 100x and obtain pinpoint star images.

Bob

Nikon has launched a newly designed zoom for the ED82 scope - I have found it okay to use with specs. and overall to be a lovely and very user friendly scope. I have posted a review of the scope in the Reviews section.

scampo said:
Nikon has launched a newly designed zoom for the ED82 scope - .

Steve, I think this zoom has been around a bit longer than the new 82mm scope. It would seem to have been some sort of precursor. At least, I have been debating about my zoom replacement for a considerable time, and I don't think there are two models of 20-60/25-75x. Unless I have missed something, of course.

Robert

Ah - I see. It's called the 20-60x/25-75x MCII eyepiece. I thought Nikon's advertising suggested the two were designed together.

Since last December, I'm the proud owner of this new scope. I'm very satisfied of it. Therefore, if you have any questions, just ask!

I've attached an image taken with that scope. We can see the sun reflexion in the eye of the glaucous gull, at least 200 m from me...

Attachments

• glaucous5.jpg
    glaucous5.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
Well done - amazing really! At that distance you've probably got a fair bit of of atmospheric pollution in the shot, too.

Can somebody tell me if I can put a digital camera adapter on my 25-75X eyepiece? I heard that's the Nikon adapter is incompatible with zoom eyepiece... Currently, I must take handheld photos!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back