• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron Aurora BGA VHD Binocular (1 Viewer)

MGT

I just chanced upon these beauties, I would be interested to know if anyone has tried them yet and would be willing to share their experiences or thoughts?

294F0AD7-C6AE-47BF-96AB-837037CA2F68.jpegWe have been fortunate to take a look at Opticron's new flagship #binocular, the Aurora BGA VHD.

Available next month in both 8x42 and 10x42 models, we believe these to be the finest binoculars available for under £1000.

Yes, they really are that good!

Featuring an impressively wide field of view of 8.1° (8x42) they are just the right mixture of weight and balance coupled with superb optical quality.

Key features include:
• Compact, lightweight roof prism design
• Nitrogen gas filled waterproof
• VHD optical system with field flattening technology
• High quality ED glass objective system
• Long eye relief for spectacle wearers
• Close focus to under 1.9m
• Made in Japan
• 30 year guarantee

Click the link below for further details:

Attachments

• EA98B891-198F-4AEA-A308-66ED60DD6849.jpeg
    EA98B891-198F-4AEA-A308-66ED60DD6849.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 111
  • 1A28C463-5055-4955-B7E5-6299522525E7.jpeg
    1A28C463-5055-4955-B7E5-6299522525E7.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 34AFBDE3-151F-44E8-A680-6CFF8D272169.jpeg
    34AFBDE3-151F-44E8-A680-6CFF8D272169.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 127
I just chanced upon these beauties, I would be interested to know if anyone has tried them yet and would be willing to share their experiences or thoughts?

View attachment 1375370We have been fortunate to take a look at Opticron's new flagship #binocular, the Aurora BGA VHD.

Available next month in both 8x42 and 10x42 models, we believe these to be the finest binoculars available for under £1000.

Yes, they really are that good!

Featuring an impressively wide field of view of 8.1° (8x42) they are just the right mixture of weight and balance coupled with superb optical quality.

Key features include:
• Compact, lightweight roof prism design
• Nitrogen gas filled waterproof
• VHD optical system with field flattening technology
• High quality ED glass objective system
• Long eye relief for spectacle wearers
• Close focus to under 1.9m
• Made in Japan
• 30 year guarantee

Click the link below for further details:
Interesting, these are supposed to be superior to the DBA VHD + ? I owned a pair of the DBA VHD(first generation) and have their DBA VHD Plus 8x42 Monocular. Outstanding glass , both have really nice long eye relief , have a high quality of feel/ build. Having said this .... is the improvement of the Larger FOV in the New Aurora going to be the selling point for the increased price over the now DBA VHD Plus version. I checked the Birders Store UK price , it’s a little over $1,000 US. Now here in the states I see the average price of the DBA VHD Plus to be around $800 and as low as $722. The obvious physical differences from the Aurora’s picture is the single hinge design compared to the DBA VHD open bridge. The focusing/diopter look similar. From my experience with my 70 year old eyes with the 8x42 DBA VHD ..... left me wanting for nothing, it was very bright, providing a crystal clear sharp view with eye relief just as long as the Spec’s of the New Aurora. The DBA VHD was also very compact and light. Will the Aurora have a more robust build because of it being a single hinge ? It will be interesting to read the reviews to see if the Aurora is really going to be that much better than the soon to be dethroned DBA VHD Plus.

Full product information is now live on our web pages:

This is a completely new optical system albeit from the same optical design team that worked on DBA VHD and the MM4 scopes. It is overall better than the DBA VHD+ by some margin. It is slightly heavier (mainly due to the inclusion of a field flattener) and slightly longer (6" vs 5.7") but the balance is as good if not better than the DBA VHD+. And there's a surprise included with each one too :)

We're confident it is as good as and in some cases better than comparably and higher priced products from other brands. We did some comprehensive testing against a number of models including Zeiss, Leica, Nikon and Vortex.

But at the end of the day it will be independent reviews and people's own testing that will be the best indication of how it performs.

Stock due to ship to dealers from around April 12th (when hopefully shops in the UK will be back open!).

HTH, Pete

I spent some considerable hours toing and froing between the DBA VHD and Imagic BGA VHD, and ultimately settled on the Imagic. Whilst I was able to appreciate the quality aesthetics and refinements of the DBA VHD, the open bridge didn’t work for my slender, slightly larger than average hands. I also preferred some of the Imagic’s statistics such as it’s generous FOV, at the end of the day it was the ergonomics that swayed me. I can see the Aurora’s having the same refined quality and feel as the DBA VHD only with ergonomics more suited to my face, hands and that impressive FOV with flat field having a potentially immersive and impressive viewing experience. I am still impressed with my 8x42 Imagic’s, they leave little to be desired and I could happily continue birding with them for the rest of my life, however, the verdict is out on the Aurora as to whether I choose to upgrade or invest in a pair of 10x42 Imagic’s.

Full product information is now live on our web pages:

This is a completely new optical system albeit from the same optical design team that worked on DBA VHD and the MM4 scopes. It is overall better than the DBA VHD+ by some margin. It is slightly heavier (mainly due to the inclusion of a field flattener) and slightly longer (6" vs 5.7") but the balance is as good if not better than the DBA VHD+. And there's a surprise included with each one too :)

We're confident it is as good as and in some cases better than comparably and higher priced products from other brands. We did some comprehensive testing against a number of models including Zeiss, Leica, Nikon and Vortex.

But at the end of the day it will be independent reviews and people's own testing that will be the best indication of how it performs.

Stock due to ship to dealers from around April 12th (when hopefully shops in the UK will be back open!).

HTH, Pete
Thanks Pete for the fast response. From your description you have another Top Of The Line binocular coming out for us to Purchase. I really liked the DBA Version, so the New Aurora should be even better.

The $1000 glass market is saturated with the most competition, we will see (actually the market place will determine) if this is truly built to a higher standard.

I wonder now if Opticron is also going to come out with a New Line of Professional Aurora Monoculars to replace their current Professional Grade DBA VHD + ?

Last edited:
There isn't a 32mm Aurora on the roadmap at present and we've not discussed the idea of a monocular using the same optical design either.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

My early impressions of the new Aurora models are very favourable. We have just taken delivery of them and I've had a quick compare of them vs some of the other Opticron models as well as other brands' less expensive offerings. The improvement over any less expensive model, including the DBA VHD+ (which is a superb binocular), is quite noticeable. The Aurora are brighter and sharper than any others, and the field flatteners do a great job. I hope to post a full review later this year.

There isn't a 32mm Aurora on the roadmap at present and we've not discussed the idea of a monocular using the same optical design either.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Hi Pete. In another section here some posters from the UK have been told by field reps that their 32 mms sell better than their 42 mms. When I look at your site there is no premium 32 available (Traveller is nice but not a premium model). Is your experience at Opticron different than the other manufacturers who claim their 32s sell better? Any plans at all for a premium 32 if not in the Aurora line?

32mm does outsell 42mm generally. Or at least it did when we had shops open!

Right now, no plans for a 32mm at the top of our range.

Sometimes a picture says a lot more than words - so here goes. DBA VHD+ 42mm, EL 32mm, Aurora 42mm. Why compromise? :)

20210412_093017.jpg

I'm also always curious about this. It's hard to say if clone is the right word, really. Kamakura or another manufacturer will have a platform, and the client can, according to their budget and needs, spec out details, components, tolerances, armor, and plenty more I'm sure. I should think it's an iterative process of design and spec'ing between what is possible and what makes sense to achieve the quality/price/specs balance that is desired.

Personally I don't mind, at all, that binoculars come from an established platform. If you have a quality manufacturer working with a quality brand making a high quality product, I'm just as interested as I would be in comparably priced made in EU product - I'll choose the product I like better, not the country of manufacture. I don't think a lot of people get upset that platforms are variously shared among VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, and even Porsche. Platform sharing is, at this point, an extremely proven strategy.

It seems widely recognized (at least seemingly never refuted) that the (all generally very well regarded, to be fair) 30mm Nikon M7, Kite Lynx HD, Maven B3, and probably 32mm Opticron Traveler share a common platform, but they certainly don't seem to be clones.

On the 8x42's - bunched in with similar (not terribly impressive) FOVS, great performance, and similar looking bodies, all MIJ, the Tract Toric, Opticron DBA VHD, maybe the Kite Petrel, and perhaps Zeiss Conquest seem pretty similar in some specs, though I would certainly not call them clones. The Conquest is a good 100g heavier than the Opticron, for instance. But there might be some shared engineering in the housings, lens arrangement and placement, focusing, etc?

The Kite Bonelli 8x42 and Maven B1 8x42 also look pretty similar to each other, both physically and looking at weight/dimensions/FOV - also both MIJ I believe.

As far as the 420' FOV group you mention jg, what other bins are in with the new Aurora? The Nikon MG is a touch shorter and lighter but similar FOV and similar looking bridge / overall physique. I can't, off the top of my head, think of others - is the Opticron the first bin to share a platform with the MHG, perhaps? If that is the case, it is a fantastic pedigree and I would expect a class leading combo of specs/performance.

I've just realized that the Aurora has a central locking diopter, which would be a reasonable change from the MHG - though the overall slender barrels and bridge size, as well as specs, do look like there are some shared genetics.

I have the feeling that the Aurora may well become one of if not the best choices in the middle tier...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back