• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron Aurora BGA VHD Binocular (1 Viewer)

Got to give them credit in trying to grab some of the market share. I wonder how the focus wheel will function after a year.

Got to give them credit in trying to grab some of the market share. I wonder how the focus wheel will function after a year.
Well I have had an Imagic 8x42 and Traveller 8x32 since 2017 and their focusers are still absolutely fine so the omens for Aurora are pretty good.

Lee

32mm does outsell 42mm generally. Or at least it did when we had shops open!

Right now, no plans for a 32mm at the top of our range.

Sometimes a picture says a lot more than words - so here goes. DBA VHD+ 42mm, EL 32mm, Aurora 42mm. Why compromise? :)

View attachment 1379161
Just think though: If you made a 32 mm Aurora you could place it beside a Leica UVHD+ 32 mm and have us all placing orders!

I have had the Imagic 8x42, 10x42 and Traveller 8x42 for 5yrs, they’re all still running buttery smooth and better than some of the gritty stiction I’ve experienced on alpha brands costing more than twice as much.

Just about to head down to Chesil as Opticron have a demo going on there right now. I'm armed with my trusty, bomb-proof, brilliant Leica Trinovid 8x32, so will have a nice little comparison game. Such a shame about the lack of 8x32 option in the Aurora, but hey ho, we'll see what's what.

I have now had a play with them and...They're very decent. They were a little brighter than my Trinovid BN's, but definitely not clearer - and it should be pointed out that my Trinovids are going off to Leica this week as they're starting to fog up (first time they've gone back in 15 years). Inevitably the Auroras are heavier - although not by a hugely noticeable amount, but they feel bulky in the hand and in the pocket compared to the Leicas. Alas, for the lack of an 8x32 spec in the Aurora range! Focusing was nice and crisp and the image through them was sharp, although I'd say at times in bright conditions (not bad today) the image was a little over-bright, making subtle shade changes in darker colours - the back of juvenile gulls, for example - a touch less defined than they were through my Leicas.

But they cut through the heat shimmer nicely and I could still comfortably ID stuff at distance. even with the slight over-brightness. So if you're looking to spend under £1k on some binoculars, then it should be a good contender - or second hand optics of something better! I picked my Leicas up second hand seven or eight years ago. Leica informed me they'd never been for a service before now, so that's a pretty impressive record for two owners and 15 years of service. So long as you know what you're looking for and can dodge the duds and filter out the fakes, I still maintain you end up with better value for money for the optics.

You can pick up the Trinovid HD's in 8x32 for £700. I've not tried them yet (next on the list!), so it'll be interesting to see how they compare!

Just about to head down to Chesil as Opticron have a demo going on there right now. I'm armed with my trusty, bomb-proof, brilliant Leica Trinovid 8x32, so will have a nice little comparison game. Such a shame about the lack of 8x32 option in the Aurora, but hey ho, we'll see what's what.
The beautiful ergonomic (bomb proof) Leica 8x32 used to be my “go to” binocular for years until I discovered Opticron Imagic 8 & 10x42 BGA WP VHD which offer a better view and ergonomics in a similarly scaled package so the Aurora should be all over the Leica’s.

I have now had a play with them and...They're very decent. They were a little brighter than my Trinovid BN's, but definitely not clearer - and it should be pointed out that my Trinovids are going off to Leica this week as they're starting to fog up (first time they've gone back in 15 years). Inevitably the Auroras are heavier - although not by a hugely noticeable amount, but they feel bulky in the hand and in the pocket compared to the Leicas. Alas, for the lack of an 8x32 spec in the Aurora range! Focusing was nice and crisp and the image through them was sharp, although I'd say at times in bright conditions (not bad today) the image was a little over-bright, making subtle shade changes in darker colours - the back of juvenile gulls, for example - a touch less defined than they were through my Leicas.

But they cut through the heat shimmer nicely and I could still comfortably ID stuff at distance. even with the slight over-brightness. So if you're looking to spend under £1k on some binoculars, then it should be a good contender - or second hand optics of something better! I picked my Leicas up second hand seven or eight years ago. Leica informed me they'd never been for a service before now, so that's a pretty impressive record for two owners and 15 years of service. So long as you know what you're looking for and can dodge the duds and filter out the fakes, I still maintain you end up with better value for money for the optics.

You can pick up the Trinovid HD's in 8x32 for £700. I've not tried them yet (next on the list!), so it'll be interesting to see how they compare!
Nice to meet you Chris. Thanks for popping down and your thoughts on the Aurora BGA VHD.

Rob

Interesting, these are supposed to be superior to the DBA VHD + ? I owned a pair of the DBA VHD(first generation) and have their DBA VHD Plus 8x42 Monocular. Outstanding glass , both have really nice long eye relief , have a high quality of feel/ build. Having said this .... is the improvement of the Larger FOV in the New Aurora going to be the selling point for the increased price over the now DBA VHD Plus version. I checked the Birders Store UK price , it’s a little over $1,000 US. Now here in the states I see the average price of the DBA VHD Plus to be around $800 and as low as $722. The obvious physical differences from the Aurora’s picture is the single hinge design compared to the DBA VHD open bridge. The focusing/diopter look similar. From my experience with my 70 year old eyes with the 8x42 DBA VHD ..... left me wanting for nothing, it was very bright, providing a crystal clear sharp view with eye relief just as long as the Spec’s of the New Aurora. The DBA VHD was also very compact and light. Will the Aurora have a more robust build because of it being a single hinge ? It will be interesting to read the reviews to see if the Aurora is really going to be that much better than the soon to be dethroned DBA VHD Plus.
These really are an upgrade on the dba vhd+. The large field of view is an obvious and important improvement. They handle really well ergonomically and have the feel of a quality binocular. The ocular lenses appear larger than the dba vhd+ which makes them really comfortable and easy to use, no hovering around the eye cups to get the optimum viewing position as with some similarly priced binoculars.
The image is sharp and bright and depth of field is pretty good. Low light performance is also impressive. Focusing wheel is smooth but important to check before you buy as first pair I tried out had an unsatisfactory drag as you slowed towards the optimum focus point. The focus point sweet spot is not too critical and that also makes for an easy, enjoyable experience. So reluctantly, but without any hesitation I traded in my dba vhd + binoculars for the these new opticron flagship models which are without doubt the best opticrons I've ever used.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back