• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Parabolic Microphone (1 Viewer)

Louis_P

Average Birder
I have bought one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parabolic-Dish-Wildlife-Spy-Microphone/222966090855) parabolic microphones. Pretty cheap compared to the Telinga and Dodotronics ones (it still cost a few £ more than my used Zoom H1 though!) , although a lot less portable. It will be interesting to see how effective it is as it is my first parabolic microphone. I will report back here with recordings - let's hope the local resident Song Thrush doesn't stop singing.

Received it today, the results are truly stunning - today I got a beautiful recording of a pair of Goldfinches on my garden - even with a main road and chatty neighbours nearby. Going out to the woods tomorrow night, hopefully to record the regular Tawny and Barn Owls. Will share some recordings and a full review on here soon.

Edit - here is the Goldfinch recording - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LhkouE-sNnFyqjcHU6s6yYMUMh9LyDIu/view?usp=drivesdk. Apologies for the constant sound of traffic you can just about make out in the background throughout, as well as my chatty neighbours and all the other background noise.

Last edited:
Very many years ago when Maplin had one of their sales, I bought a parabolic infra-red heater with the idea of using it as a microphone reflector. After a little modification, it worked well - whilst my interest lasted!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back