• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

Put another way how important is FOV to the study of a given subject once you have the critter in your sights?
Sure, once the bird is in view, FOV does not matter so much, but to get it in view or keep it there, it helps a lot, as Temmie has described.
Also a wide FOV gives just a very enjoyable view.

The only thing that will give you 99.9 % transmission, tack sharp and tunnel view, is an empty toilet paper roll. Magnification is a little low though.

Dalat, post 202,
The instrument you describe in your post offers not 99,9% tranmsission but 100% as we measured the past december when Sint Nicolaas , the bishop of Myra, asked us to perform this experiment.
Gijs van Ginkel

As a point of interest am I alone in wondering how many BF members have missed spotting a bird due to lack of FOV?

Put another way how important is FOV to the study of a given subject once you have the critter in your sights?

A 99.9% light gathering figure and limited but awesome "sweet spot" appears far more desirable to this admitedly Old Reactionary.

LGM
"Once you have the critter in your sights?"

That is the point of a big FOV. It is easier to get the critter in your sights and keep them there.

Last edited:
Well it will be two months until all the models are out and eyes are behind them, unless someone gets a few beforehand and does a detailed review. I do have to give it to Swarovski, it was all in the timing. I am interested in the 8 or 10X42, I really don't see any major advantage of the 12X42 over the SV 12X50 except perhaps weight and FOV.

Andy W.
"I really don't see any major advantage of the 12X42 over the SV 12X50 except perhaps weight and FOV."

Andy. IMO those are two pretty big advantages. The 12x42 NL is 390 feet FOV and 29 oz. and the 12x50 SV is 300 feet FOV 35 oz. which is a huge difference in FOV at 12x and weight also. A 4mm exit pupil compared to 3.5mm probably won't make much difference in eye placement and low light either. 12x42 is an interesting format. I have never seen it before. If it was me I would upgrade.:-O

Last edited:
advantages of wide FOV:
1. frequently diving birds (grebes, divers,...) The more FOV, the faster you will get them sharp in your bins.
2. fast moving birds in canopy / bushes. The more FOV, the faster... etcetera.
3. counting flocks on migration overhead. A large FOV enables you to keep all birds in your view.
4. watching hummers that hoover, move quickly for some meters, hoover again,... Just try following them with your small FOV.
5. scanning lakes edges for movement.
6. scanning the sea while seawatching. A wide FOV is all the difference between catching and not catching that low-flying shearwater that flies under the waves for some time.
7. scanning the action: for example foraging waders constantly running around, or that same flock flying around, or murmuring starlings. If you don't have a wide FOV, you simply don't see the whole story of the interaction / dynamics.
8. I can go on and on...

Maybe the best example: My avatar is a Western Tragopan. That's a shy forest pheasant of the Western Himalayas. I saw the bird moving in the understory, but as there is a lot of cover (mainly ringal bamboo), I didn't know for sure where it would pop up next (or completely disappear) while moving around. I focused on an area with less dense vegetation (with my bins). With a small FOV, I could have easily just missed them coming out of the woods... That is the difference: people who don't appreciate large FOV actually don't know what birds they are missing, simply because they haven't seen them! ha!

I wonder if you have ever actually watched birds?

Agreed.

Chosun :gh:

I have never seen a thread with this many post's in such a short period of time on Bird Forum. When Swarovski introduce's a new product it attract's a lot of attention from the birder's. You have to give it too Swarovski they are probably the leader's in optical innovation.

I thought "the death of the Alpha" had been predicted !, looks alive and kicking to me.

Poor techie guys having to do a PR piece on their own… I feel their pain! Wonder how many takes they had to do?!
Clever topical marketing and good to see they’ve widened their view a bit… “no edges”…. even the WX has edges as do my 82degree eyepiece bins. ......

Peter

Could "p - a - i - n - f - u - l" marketing be the next big thing ?? ....... :smoke: :cat:

In a world of slick Jesko's, V4 Superleggera's and SF90 Stradale's could this old skool 'Bill and Bob' type of classic counterculture be a stroke of genius ?! :-O The Management Schools are going to run wild with this ...... !

I guarantee you that I felt more pain watching that, than they did making it !! 3:)

Chosun :gh:

Some images of the €129 forehead rest, designated the FRP . . .

The first 2 images also give clear views of the NL's reduced waist, showing that it goes around the full circumference
- something which is not clear in other product shots

The 3rd shows the external detail of the FRP's construction

And the last shows how small it is in use

John

Attachments

• FRP side.jpg
    FRP side.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 106
  • FRP front.jpg
    FRP front.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 117
  • FRP closeup.jpg
    FRP closeup.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 136
  • FRP.jpg
    FRP.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 167
Interesting. Three point's of contact in a triangle should stabilize the binocular's kind of like a tripod. It look's like they have the same Field Pro attachment's for the strap but have done away with the cord's which is a good thing in my book. The binocular's look pretty big in that last photo.

I’m not sure if this a mistake on the Swarovski EL web page but the 8.5x ELs close focusing distance has been change from 1.5m to 3.3m? It could be just bad editing as the text still says 1.5 m.

Attachments

• EB77D45D-9B1E-4170-B242-E24395F99088.jpg
    EB77D45D-9B1E-4170-B242-E24395F99088.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Is it possible that the head rest is actually the most significant innovation here?

Optimistically, it may be an IS alternative with no batteries and no moving parts.
Even though I've been a total IS convert since 2008, I'm very much looking forward to seeing this in the flesh and field testing it. If the head rest really allows more effective stabilization, it would be a game changer. Presumably Swaro has already patented it, so the idea can't be knocked off by the other alphas.

It will be interesting to see what Tract and Maven come up with to follow suit.

They don't have to. They're a solid player in the sub $1k segment, which is a very large market. From the specs, and excitement, it appears Leica and Zeiss got left in dust again.

Those NL's look looooooong, dont' they?

Last edited:
Yes indeed, they look large.

Regardiing FOV, I think back to occasions when it would make a difference, and mostly it wouldn't have made a difference.

Examples:
Loons, maybe a quarter mile. Forget it, put the binos down and wait for them.

Sea Otters, West coast, quarter to half mile, forget it, put the binos down and wait for it.

Gray Whales, a mile or more off the coast. Skip FOV.

Finback whales off Cape Cod, well they are big, but still FOV is mostly a guess.

Warblers, no way. Look for them first. Skip the windy days. You'll see them soon enough.

I have an 8x32 FL at 420 and and 8x32 SV at 423 or some such. FOV is not a huge priority for me anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back