• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (2 Viewers)

Morning Lee,

How does 32 differ optically from 42?

Thanks

Alan

Take a look at the cross sections available and you will see SF 32 has a single objective with doublet focuser, plus an eyepiece with 6 groups (possibly consisting of 9 elements) but SF42 has doublet objective and singlet focuser and an eyepiece consisting of only 4 groups (possibly 7 elements).

They are very different.

Lee

Take a look at the cross sections available and you will see SF 32 has a single objective with doublet focuser, plus an eyepiece with 6 groups (possibly consisting of 9 elements) but SF42 has doublet objective and singlet focuser and an eyepiece consisting of only 4 groups (possibly 7 elements).

They are very different.

Lee

Thanks Lee, that's useful.

All best

Alan

Tried it yesterday and it’s true. Strong clicks. It won’t move.

But click-detents don't always work very well...
Plus it's not far away from the focus wheel...
I would imagine it could easily get knocked..
Wonder why they didn't put the Dipoter underneath like the CL pockets

Cheers
Tim

I have no inside information on this but SF42 has been around for long enough and SF32 is already different, optically, from the 42, so I can imagine they are well on the way with this.

Lee

Thanks, Lee.
I was seriously thinking about getting an NL Pure but I'm leaning toward a response from Zeiss.
Besides, Zeiss does have priority on Schott glass vs everyone else so waiting to see what Zeiss brings out might be the best way to go. :t:

Thanks, Lee.
I was seriously thinking about getting an NL Pure but I'm leaning toward a response from Zeiss.
Besides, Zeiss does have priority on Schott glass vs everyone else so waiting to see what Zeiss brings out might be the best way to go. :t:

Zeiss has priority on Schott glass vs everyone else....???????

OK, that's new for me.

Jan

Zeiss has priority on Schott glass vs everyone else....???????

OK, that's new for me.

Jan

As you probably know, Zeiss owns Schott so they get to use any new style glass Schott brings out first.
They did exactly that with the HT glass back in 2013 and kept it for themselves at first.
There were a number of sources on the net and videos on YouTube stating that fact.
Around 2 to 3 years later, they starting selling HT glass to Leica for use in their then-new Ultravid HD Plus binoculars featuring HT glass.

I was going to buy a pair of Ultravid HD 12x50 binos in 2013 but when I heard about the new HT glass Zeiss was using, I read up on it and got the Zeiss Victory HT instead and have been a Zeiss enthusiast ever since.
I started life as a Swarovski fanboy until getting my HT.
Might be again if I get the 12x42 NL Pure.

Hope the 8X42 NL Pure (far right from a review) is available the first week of September prior to a five day trip to the Alaska interior. Then Swaro can get cracking on an NL Pure RF! Please.

Attachments

• 694C7412-8B83-4D3E-81C7-1D3D1E09ED04.jpeg
    694C7412-8B83-4D3E-81C7-1D3D1E09ED04.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
..... Then Swaro can get cracking on an NL Pure RF! Please.

I am puzzled over the need for an RF version :h?:
Do you and others do some sort of precise bird survey work that requires an exact distance to a bird to be known and recorded ?? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

As you probably know, Zeiss owns Schott so they get to use any new style glass Schott brings out first.
They did exactly that with the HT glass back in 2013 and kept it for themselves at first.
There were a number of sources on the net and videos on YouTube stating that fact.
Around 2 to 3 years later, they starting selling HT glass to Leica for use in their then-new Ultravid HD Plus binoculars featuring HT glass.

I was going to buy a pair of Ultravid HD 12x50 binos in 2013 but when I heard about the new HT glass Zeiss was using, I read up on it and got the Zeiss Victory HT instead and have been a Zeiss enthusiast ever since.
I started life as a Swarovski fanboy until getting my HT.
Might be again if I get the 12x42 NL Pure.

Hi Sagi,

AFAIK, Schott is just a independent glass maker in the way that Zeiss does not control their distribution and they sell glass to everybody. If they wouldn't, O'Hara or Hoya will. HT glass is not miracle glass in the way it's only made by Schott. Look like it as diesel. It's made by Shell, BP etc.

There is a difference in Marketing ("we have the HT glass") and the reality that all the others have it too.

Jan

I am puzzled over the need for an RF version :h?:
Do you and others do some sort of precise bird survey work that requires an exact distance to a bird to be known and recorded ?? :cat:

For some "like me" there is this thing called just because..! Its like buying a Nikon D6 and Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 Zoom and not one but 2 pass of Swaro Field Pro RF Bins with one in orange and other in Green just because. Sometimes owning owesome gear does not require and justification at all..

Hope the 8X42 NL Pure (far right from a review) is available the first week of September prior to a five day trip to the Alaska interior. Then Swaro can get cracking on an NL Pure RF! Please.

You can also count me in on a RF also for the 12X42's and in orange please..:)

I wonder how long it will take Zeiss to respond to the NL Pure. :brains:
What do you think, Lee ?

I have no inside information on this but SF42 has been around for long enough and SF32 is already different, optically, from the 42, so I can imagine they are well on the way with this.

Lee

Thanks, Lee.

Surely any Zeiss response is already here - it's called the 42mm Zeiss SF. :smoke: I wouldn't be waiting .....

I think they're still busy paying for that one, the 32mm version, and the 50mm SF which must be into 'up to and more than' it's 5th year of development now ....... :) Swarovski still has the alpha 50mm flat field market to themselves ....... :brains:

I would seriously question whether there will ever be a Zeiss 42mm response to the NL. After all, who is going to notice any marginally increased FOV they manage to come up with ? Dennis ? I don't think that market size covers the cost of development - especially when anyone who wants one would already have an NL (or two, or three :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back