• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New reserve. Lapwing breeding success. (1 Viewer)

trw

Last year I reported about a new local reserve built from scratch. It was established by a caravan site owner next to one of his sites.
One of the successes is how quickly some Lapwing moved in and bred succesfully.
A report by another observer yesterday states: Lapwing 9-10 pairs, three broods close to hides of 4 and 2X2. Two of these well grown.
Black-headed Gull 40+ pairs.
Gadwall Up to 9 males but no young yet.
Tufted Duck 3 pairs
Curlew one pair.
Little Grebe Two nests visible from hides probably at least 4 pairs
Shoveler 2 pairs
Stock Dove Pair nesting in Barn Owl box.

Part of the reserve is also a woodland area where many nest boxes have been erected. Its popular with Marsh Tit and a variety of the more common birds.

Fantastic! Thanks for the update.
Yes, good news Richard. Every little bit helps.
The other great success I mentioned before; the local raised bog created by Natural England, has carried on producing the goods.
I'd never heard a Cuckoo in the area before. This is the third year in succession they've been back there.
Its also an ideal habitat for Tree Pipit.
Two pairs of Stonechat have turned up this year and there's two Common Whitethroat on separate territories.

Last edited:
Hi pratincole,

Any chance you could pm me with details of the caravan site? When we finally get out of lockdown we will need a good caravan holiday - even if it is for the Autumn migration!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back