• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Retrovid 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Side by side comparison between my Retrovid 7x35 and a friend's Ultravid hd plus 8x32

The Ultravid delivers finer details. Such as more delicate views of tree branches and leaves. The Retrovid gives more impressive overviews (widefield views), apparently having a larger FOV and a wider sweet spot.

It was a dull day so differences may not have showed up most clearly
Nice photo. I got a bug for one of these. Any body care to place this optically. Is this closer to the UVD+ or the Trinovid HD? Is this upper midrange like conquest, MHG, Genesis or more entry Alpha, CL, SLC?
Thank you

Merry Christmas

I think if anyone is a Leica-fan-boy in anyway, they owe it to themselves to see the 7x35 in person and decide where it fits in their lineup. I have three Leica's already and have ordered in a 4th with the 10x32, so might have to get the 7x35 too (my 5th), from Duncan I am thinking in the Netherlands. But, I still have reservations----not optically----but more along the lines of; is this a 'birding binocular' or just a 'novelty' .... (which I consider to be the same for the original Zeiss dialyt )....
Worth a shot I suppose, as one can never beat the dopamine effect connected to opening up new optics boxes. :) jim
I get the dopamine! 🤪

So south Jersey, why Duncan in the Netherlands?

What 4 do you have ?

Neighbor
Paul
New York

I get the dopamine! 🤪

So south Jersey, why Duncan in the Netherlands?

What 4 do you have ?

Neighbor
Paul
New York
I have the 10x42 Noctivid..... 7x35 Trinovid, 10x32 Trinovid, 8x20 Monovid....and I sold a 8x32 Ultravid (and shouldn't have...shouldn't have).

I was going thru Duncan but circumstances changed at my end....so.....didn't . But he was offering a lesser price than around here.

I have the 10x42 Noctivid..... 7x35 Trinovid, 10x32 Trinovid, 8x20 Monovid....and I sold a 8x32 Ultravid (and shouldn't have...shouldn't have).

I was going thru Duncan but circumstances changed at my end....so.....didn't . But he was offering a lesser price than around here.
Big mistake selling the ultravid 32😳 , love them. After using the 32’s, I wanted more & was going for the 42’s but was talked into the Nocs Instead.

How good are the Retrovids? Talk to me…. And have bought from Lisse (Duncan) before?

Thank you
Merry Christmas

I found a pair of these for effectively $1150 new, with a 60-day return period, so couldn’t resist the Xmas present to myself, at least to try them out.

I only came across these a couple of days ago and didn’t get what the point of them was, particularly for the price. But after a bit of reading, I reckon they would make a good urban binocular to carry when I otherwise wouldn’t carry a more bulky pair. I’ve tried a few 8x25s in the past, but have given up on them as I can’t hold them steady or get a comfortable enough image to be worth the bother.

And as chance would have it, I happened past the Leica shop in DC yesterday, so had a very quick look through them. First impression confirmed what others have said - pin cushion is definitely there, and CA is definitely there on high contrast targets, AFOV noticeably narrower than the SFs and NLs I’ve recently been spoiled with. But otherwise, the view is very nice and easy. Couldn’t take my time with them, however, as I was double parked and in need of attention for a corneal abrasion my 4-yr-old had just given me. (I left a few tears on the left eyecup.)

I found a pair of these for effectively $1150 new, with a 60-day return period, so couldn’t resist the Xmas present to myself, at least to try them out.

I only came across these a couple of days ago and didn’t get what the point of them was, particularly for the price. But after a bit of reading, I reckon they would make a good urban binocular to carry when I otherwise wouldn’t carry a more bulky pair. I’ve tried a few 8x25s in the past, but have given up on them as I can’t hold them steady or get a comfortable enough image to be worth the bother.

And as chance would have it, I happened past the Leica shop in DC yesterday, so had a very quick look through them. First impression confirmed what others have said - pin cushion is definitely there, and CA is definitely there on high contrast targets, AFOV noticeably narrower than the SFs and NLs I’ve recently been spoiled with. But otherwise, the view is very nice and easy. Couldn’t take my time with them, however, as I was double parked and in need of attention for a corneal abrasion my 4-yr-old had just given me. (I left a few tears on the left eyecup.)
Oh boy, you should’ve got him the Icecream. I’m sure it’s was just. Playing around accident or maybe he threw A fork at you like my daughter once did.

so you were double parked in DC to go look at a pair of binoculars, that’s dedication.

not too worried about pin cushion, more worried about the CA.

How was the focuser?

are you going to give up your source to us?

paul

Oh boy, you should’ve got him the Icecream. I’m sure it’s was just. Playing around accident or maybe he threw A fork at you like my daughter once did.

so you were double parked in DC to go look at a pair of binoculars, that’s dedication.

not too worried about pin cushion, more worried about the CA.

How was the focuser?

are you going to give up your source to us?

paul
She was sitting on my shoulders and jabbed me in the eye with something in her hand. It was one of the few times she wasn’t trying to hurt me. That’s why I didn’t see it coming.

I was double-parked (well, let’s call it “informally parked”) to get a last minute gift from the Xmas market by the Verizon Center, but happened to be next to the Leica shop, which I’d never noticed before.

Focus wheel is smooth. Not the fastest, but not problematically slow for me.

And I got them from CampSaver. 20% off for first order, plus another 10% back in rewards, but you do have to pay tax. They only had 1 in stock, but I think they can be back-ordered.

Ive a question. I've handled these twice now. They remind me of a day in 1971, when I was in Hanover New Hampshire, wandered into an optics store and saw my first "roof prism" binoculars. They were Iietz Trinovids. Instantaneous lust, meets struggling to start a career. Zoom to 2021 and in the Leica store in Walnut Creek, twice now Ive gotten to look at and through the 7x35. Esthetically, fit, finish-wise, these can satisfy that 1971 itch. The size and weight is well... very nice. Some here will know I'm a 10X guy - that do to where I bird, I get it. So the idea of a 7 makes me nervous. I read all the ooing and ahhing here for the UVHD+ 742s, have not been able to lay my hands on one, so wonder what am I missing? $2300. seems a steep price to pay for the experiment given my X druthers. So, the question. Are these 735 Trinovid Classics a reasonable facsimile for the viewing experience of the UVHD+ 742? Would they suffice to answer the question whether 7X is for me?

She was sitting on my shoulders and jabbed me in the eye with something in her hand. It was one of the few times she wasn’t trying to hurt me. That’s why I didn’t see it coming.

I was double-parked (well, let’s call it “informally parked”) to get a last minute gift from the Xmas market by the Verizon Center, but happened to be next to the Leica shop, which I’d never noticed before.

Focus wheel is smooth. Not the fastest, but not problematically slow for me.

And I got them from CampSaver. 20% off for first order, plus another 10% back in rewards, but you do have to pay tax. They only had 1 in stock, but I think they can be back-ordered.
That’s to funny , but in know what you mean. Same here with my grandkids. Evil I tell you, they wait for you to look away, then they come in for the attack. I blame the parents. 🤪.

thax for the info on the retros. Looks like I’m going to need one.

merry Christmas

Ive a question. I've handled these twice now. They remind me of a day in 1971, when I was in Hanover New Hampshire, wandered into an optics store and saw my first "roof prism" binoculars. They were Iietz Trinovids. Instantaneous lust, meets struggling to start a career. Zoom to 2021 and in the Leica store in Walnut Creek, twice now Ive gotten to look at and through the 7x35. Esthetically, fit, finish-wise, these can satisfy that 1971 itch. The size and weight is well... very nice. Some here will know I'm a 10X guy - that do to where I bird, I get it. So the idea of a 7 makes me nervous. I read all the ooing and ahhing here for the UVHD+ 742s, have not been able to lay my hands on one, so wonder what am I missing? $2300. seems a steep price to pay for the experiment given my X druthers. So, the question. Are these 735 Trinovid Classics a reasonable facsimile for the viewing experience of the UVHD+ 742? Would they suffice to answer the question whether 7X is for me?
Curious, if you're a "10X" guy, why would you be shopping for 7X bins? As I posted awhile back, I had both the 7x42 and 7x35 and returned both the same day. the 7x42 UV had too little eye relief for me (and I don't wear glasses). Lot's of blackout and due to their small size (length), I couldn't hold them steady compared to my other bins. Nice optics, nicely made but a no go, no question. The 7x35 Retrovids simply have tiny diameter oculars (for my anatomy) on top of the same too little eye relief of the 7x42s. I was disappointed I couldn't make either pair work for me but that's how it is with bins. All cylinders have to fire correctly for me to keep a pair of a new purchase.

Curious, if you're a "10X" guy, why would you be shopping for 7X bins?
Question wasn’t for me, but I’m also a 10x guy in terms of primary field binoculars. In my case the answer is simply that I’m willing to make sacrifices for the times that I’m just not going to be carrying full-sized binoculars.

The 7x35 will be for the times I’m around town, not particularly focused on birding - perhaps at the park or zoo with my daughter, perhaps visiting a new city, or at an event - and I don’t want to be obviously carrying binoculars, but could carry a slim, stylish pair under a jacket or in the pocket. You never know when you’ll see something of interest. A bald eagle flew over my back alley two days ago, and I live in a pretty urban part of DC. On another occasion, it might be an F22, or just a good view of Mars. For that use, a small footprint is more important to me than very light weight, and a bit of weight is even helpful for a steady view.

Similarly with eyecups, I prefer those on modern full-size binoculars which lock into my eye sockets pretty securely, but I can also use smaller ones, like on Habichts or the MHG 8x30, in which case they rest just on the underside of my eyebrow ridge. When using smaller eyecups, I do find a decent-sized exit pupil useful.

Question wasn’t for me, but I’m also a 10x guy in terms of primary field binoculars. In my case the answer is simply that I’m willing to make sacrifices for the times that I’m just not going to be carrying full-sized binoculars.

The 7x35 will be for the times I’m around town, not particularly focused on birding - perhaps at the park or zoo with my daughter, perhaps visiting a new city, or at an event - and I don’t want to be obviously carrying binoculars, but could carry a slim, stylish pair under a jacket or in the pocket. You never know when you’ll see something of interest. A bald eagle flew over my back alley two days ago, and I live in a pretty urban part of DC. On another occasion, it might be an F22, or just a good view of Mars. For that use, a small footprint is more important to me than very light weight, and a bit of weight is even helpful for a steady view.

Similarly with eyecups, I prefer those on modern full-size binoculars which lock into my eye sockets pretty securely, but I can also use smaller ones, like on Habichts or the MHG 8x30, in which case they rest just on the underside of my eyebrow ridge. When using smaller eyecups, I do find a decent-sized exit pupil useful.
Speaking only for myself, but for in town carry, I would prefer any of the compact bins in an 8x25 configuration. Those 7x35s are still fairly large for that use (for me). But I absolutely understand their appeal; they are gorgeous!

Speaking only for myself, but for in town carry, I would prefer any of the compact bins in an 8x25 configuration. Those 7x35s are still fairly large for that use (for me). But I absolutely understand their appeal; they are gorgeous!
First they’re gorgeous, then they’re good optics. That’s good enough✌🏼.
it’s usually the other way around, it’s a retro thing.

CSG and Brummie. Thank you.

CSG, I fear I may be one of (what I suspect are) the majority of people who buy, for instance Swarovski's, don't see glare, don't see blackouts, no rolling balls, or pin cushions. Flat Field is fine. My focuser is exquisite, cant imagine how it could be better. My eyeglasses fog, but not my binos. I see glare as a normal part of everyday life dealing with sunlight during the day or street/auto headlamps at night and the human eye. Something produced within by binos?? Nah. As well for whatever reason, since I dont know anyone here personally, I dont understand how, or what folks do, to experience 2X negating wiggles to cause them to choose 8 over 10. I use 825 Victory Pockets often and have described that use here. My most used binos are a late model short focus EL 1042. If I experience view distorting wiggles its more often with the 825s than those ELs. Weight helps, (to a point). So does taking advantage of natural and man made supports. That said, on my walks by the Bay even between supports, wiggles don't upset me. The conversation of comfy eye accommodation do to exit pupil size and or ocular dimensions so far have not been a thing. I go between these 2 with a potential wide possibility for that, and never think about it. Ive read your experience with the 742 UVHD+ and the Retros. That seemed a shame but has not been my experience as close as Ive gotten to the pairs you tried. I thought my reasons for exploring 7X were fairly clear. The rave reviews from members here and the reviews from folks like Tobias, Canip, chill6x6 make me wonder if Im overlooking something. I am sorta trainable.. sorta.

Brummie, I fully recognize the pleasure hit that comes from buying a new toy. And I surely experience it buying binoculars. Ive been around long enough to stop when I see myself coming up with ways to rationalize another purchase, especially when I notice Im creating a use that I actually have never recognized. Just me, but cannot imagine walking around a city with binoculars in tow. There's too much else going on to keep me occupied. For me, binoculars are for viewing nature, at the mo, that means hikes in the California Bay Area. In the past it was something else, not mentionable here. I live in an urban apartment though have a short drive to these places. If and/or when I move to another place a bit further out, I will as I have in the past put out feeders. Easily enough, I can see an application for 7X that makes sense in that application.

Hoping I'm not coming off like a jerk here. If Id never discovered Birdforum, I wouldn't know people struggle with the things alluded to above, that Ive learned about here. So, is the Retro a good enough example of 7X to stand in for the UVHD+? Or should I go for the whole magilla?

I've tried to make 8x25s work for me, but they just don't. My hands are a little shaky, but I'm stronger than average, so I'm one of those that gets a better view through binoculars with a bit of weight to them. I don't yet know if the 7x35 will work for me, but with a 60-day return period, I'm happy to find out.
Brummie, I fully recognize the pleasure hit that comes from buying a new toy. And I surely experience it buying binoculars. Ive been around long enough to stop when I see myself coming up with ways to rationalize another purchase, especially when I notice Im creating a use that I actually have never recognized.
For me, it's a real use, albeit a relatively niche one. I'm new enough to living in the US that the common stuff is still interesting to look at, and even in DC there's a variety of raptors, woodpeckers and the odd humming bird around if you keep your eyes open. You're not wrong, though, that I find ways to rationalize purchases because I like buying nice optics. As mentioned elsewhere, I'm a former field biologist who is now mostly a desk jockey (with regular international travel, pre-COVID). That means I've gone from a hard user of modestly-priced optics to someone with newfound disposable income, who indulges a fetish for fine optical instruments to compensate for the fact that I don't get enough opportunities to use them. I have a Monarch 7 8x30 and a Nikon 50mm Fieldscope which altogether cost me around $600. If that was all the optical equipment I had in the world, I honestly wouldn't miss that much, and for someone in my previous financial position, I'd encourage them to stick to something like that. But now I have more options, and fine optics are one of the few things I indulge in. It wouldn't make sense to me to buy something like the Trinovid 7x35 if I didn't have a practical use for them, but neither would it if I didn't get a direct enjoyment from owning a good-looking piece of high-quality Leica glass (I don't own any others).

GT, my own opinion (and that's all it is) is that if the 7x42 UV+ fit you ergonomically, they are really great bins. The focus wheel, diopter adjustment, and optics were all superior to the 7x35 Retrovid's same components. I think the 7x35s are more for retro fun because of their old school design. But if I could have used the 7x42 UV+ without the blackouts I kept getting, I would have kept them; they are really just a fine pair of binoculars. I would have learned how to steady them easily enough. The thing I couldn't figure out is why I got blackouts considering their stated 17mm eye relief. In that area, they were as troublesome as my 8x32 Nikon SEs which I finally had to give up on in spite of their superlative optics and the Nikons had even more eye relief (17.4 IIRC).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back