• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Roger Vine Reviews (1 Viewer)

Yes, you can of course also measure the optics, the question is whether this data reaches the eye of the beholder.

There are these eternal discussions about the "green" Zeiss, I myself see a noticeable "green dominance" in SF since the FL models, but Gij's laboratory findings contradict what is happening now, that SF remains "green" despite better knowledge.

It probably remains an unsolved question...!?

Andreas

There is inevitably going to be a correlation between a measured transfer function such as those plots and what the eye perceives, just as there is reliably in frequency responses of acoustic devices and their perceived audio balance (my old job).

Re: the green hue attributed to recent Zeiss (FL, HT and SF) you'll see all their plots having a similar characteristic to that one i.e. falling off both at the blue and red ends of the spectrum - leaving the green region standing above both. HT has relatively more blue making it brighter and a little 'colder' in tone (a better image in other ways though for me - I owned the HT 10x42 for a while and liked it a lot). Plots for these are also available on the house of outdoors and allbinos sites, and they match my own perceptions, many of which were experienced before seeing these plots.

Not all Swarovskis fall off in the red. The Swarovski Habicht Porros don't appear to suffer from any lack of transmission in the red. I don't think Gijs has measured any other binocular with as linear transmission across the bandwidth he measures. I keep a recent 8x30 Habicht around just to use as a reference for neutral color transmission.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 6.56.19 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 6.56.19 PM.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 23
Not all Swarovskis fall off in the red. The Swarovski Habicht Porros don't appear to suffer from any lack of transmission in the red. I don't think Gijs has measured any other binocular with as linear transmission across the bandwidth he measures. I keep a recent 8x30 Habicht around just to use as a reference for neutral color transmission.

I can believe that, most high quality recent porros that I have looked through appear to be very even and 'characterless' in colour balance. Perhaps this would tend to imply that much of the linear distortion in these plots happens in the roof prisms and their various phase and mirror coatings?

For me the "color balance" difference is visible when I strain really hard to see it under certain conditions. It doesn't come up when viewing birds. The Zeiss SF 8x42 colors seem ultra-vivid and clear.

I just spent some time w/ the SF's and my 7x42 EDG which are more Swaro-like in color balance. I stared at the rose hips on a (winter) bush right off my deck for some time. The deep red color was spectacular in both binos. Very deep, rich red color in the Zeiss and EDG, I went back & forth and it looked equally red and beautiful in both. It's the same with birds.

The "color balance" doesn't mean much to me, but who's going to tell someone spending $2-3,000 on binoculars it doesn't matter? It's up to them. You pay that much, you deserve to get the color balance however you like :):) I'm not going to spend any more time staring into mossy tree trunks on a rainy day, swapping binos back & forth trying to to see a greenish tint :D

Last edited:
For me the "color balance" difference is visible when I strain really hard to see it under certain conditions. It doesn't come up when viewing birds. The Zeiss SF 8x42 colors seem ultra-vivid and clear.

I just spent some time w/ the SF's and my 7x42 EDG which are more Swaro-like in color balance. I stared at the rose hips on a (winter) bush right off my deck for some time. The deep red color was spectacular in both binos. Very deep, rich red color in the Zeiss and EDG, I went back & forth and it looked equally red and beautiful in both. It's the same with birds.

The "color balance" doesn't mean much to me, but who's going to tell someone spending $2-3,000 on binoculars it's doesn't matter? It's up to them. You pay that much, you deserve to get the color balance however you like :):)
I'm not going to spend any more time staring into mossy tree trunks on a rainy day, swapping binos back & forth trying to to see a greenish tint :D
So you’re giving up spending time on one of the most enjoyable binocular observing pastimes 🤪😆✌🏼.

I have not seen the SLC 56, but I have seen the 42 and it seemed just slightly the yellow side of neutral but missing deep red. Apart from that, a lovely glass albeit with a slow focuser.
Yes, SLC 42 had a modest yellowish (rather than reddish) warm cast, but SLC 56 does not, it's nicely neutral or very slightly cool. And if you want a faster focuser in the common distance range, find the original SLC HD model (which devotes more rotation to its closer focus).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back