• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scope shopping. Pentax or vortex (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Looking to upgrade my 80 mm scope. Narrowed down to Pentax pf80 and vortex viper. I want a straight scope. Will be used primarily to scope large impounds in the area for ducks and gulls

I tired the Pentax this past week for 4 days using the Pentax zoom. Only thing I would like a wider fov on low end if possible. Beside that I thought the view was very good.

Viper I have not tried. So looking for input on it vs Pentax.

One concern I have is warranty on the scopes. I know vortex is unlimited warranty. Am I correct tha Pentax only is good for one year. Their web site to me is not real clear

Thoughts

Randy

Hi Randy

No idea about the Vortex but I had the PF80 for a while but sent it back as it had bad flare where a cell edge caught the sun. Don't know if current models exhibit this. Did you notice anything?

Regarding the zoom the Baader Hyperion MkIV should be a bit wider than the Pentax and fit on.

Opticron do a new 77 model available as a straight scope which I think might take the Baader zoom too.

You don't say what scope you are upgrading from so don't know how much of an upgrade a new scope might be.

Don’t forget that the Pentax takes Astro eyepieces so if you want wider fov a fixed Astro (which can be extremely wide) or a Pentax XW could begoodforyou

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back