• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 contemporary (1 Viewer)

Since I still get contacted on occasion from my posts I figured I would post a final post. I love the Sigma. Think it is the best value on the market. Hands down. But I am selling mine to a friend. It is not as sharp as some of the more expensive Canon options. So basically I am spending a lot more for very small increases in image quality. But the deed is done, the Canons have been bought and the Sigma is off to be enjoyed by another. Have tons of shots taken with it before I stopped that I have not posted anywhere.
So you have seen the light at last Issac ;)
As I have always maintained these third party zooms are excellent value for money but not up to the big white primes for sure (often got slated for stating this but that's life). Like most things small increases in performance often cost significantly more but that's the price you pay if you want the best.
Having previously owned a couple of big white primes, for me the biggest difference for birds is the rendering of really fine feather detail, sharpness and crop-ability of distance shots. If I did more bird photography and was up to carrying the weight I would buy a Canon 500/4 MkII (or better still 600/4 MkII) in a heartbeat.
Best of luck with the new lens :t:

BTW I guess everyone knows by now but if not then Google are now giving away the NIK plugin set, now that is good value for money lol.

Last edited:
So you have seen the light at last Issac ;)
As I have always maintained these third party zooms are excellent value for money but not up to the big white primes for sure (often got slated for stating this but that's life). Like most things small increases in performance often cost significantly more but that's the price you pay if you want the best.
Having previously owned a couple of big white primes, for me the biggest difference for birds is the rendering of really fine feather detail, sharpness and crop-ability of distance shots. If I did more bird photography and was up to carrying the weight I would buy a Canon 500/4 MkII (or better still 600/4 MkII) in a heartbeat.
Best of luck with the new lens :t:

Bought the 500 f4ii :t:. It is so crazy sharp and as you say the rendering of fine feather detail is just second to none. So far I have been able to get nice results hand held with the 500. Was not able to do it with the 1.4 attached so the tripod and head are on order for those few times when I will need it. 600 is just too big and heavy and hard to lug around for me. Also bought the 100-400 ii. It is better than the Sigma but not by much. Sigma is great and served me well but it is just not as sharp as the 100-400 ii (it is more versatile although having all focus points up to 600 but perhaps that too will change on the rest of the upcoming bodies). Hopefully I will do the 500 proud.

Oh and nice call on the NIK software. I will be downloading it soon. I had read about it elsewhere but good to get the word out for those who have not seen the notice. FYI a friend bought it in January. He got his refund yesterday.

Out of curiosity, which camera or cameras did the Sigma
work best with?
I use both the 7D2 and 5D3 with it Colin. For me the lens is best on the FF (5D3). But the loss of 'reach' compared to the 1.6 cropper is quite a lot so I usually end up using the 7D2 for birds and the 5D3 for everything else.

Hi,

a few weeks back, I updated the firmware from my Sigma with its docking station.
It worked very easy, no problem.
As Roy C mentioned September last year, that was for Canon only.
But I'm enjoying my Nikon D750... Now it's his turn...
The AF of the lens is really noticeable faster now.
I also bought the Sigma 1.4x extender, the TC-1401.
This also is working with my 150-600 C. I still have AF at 600 mm, despite its AF is above F8 (600 mm at F9)
I didn't have AF with my Kenko 1.4x extender, it stopped at F8.
Spring time has started over here, time to play outside...

Ad B

Last edited:
Hi,

a few weeks back, I updated the firmware from my Sigma with its docking station.
It worked very easy, no problem.
As Roy C mentioned September last year, that was for Canon only.
But I'm enjoying my Nikon D750... Now it's his turn...
The AF of the lens is really noticeable faster now.
I also bought the Sigma 1.4x extender, the TC-1401.
This also is working with my 150-600 C. I still have AF at 600 mm, despite its AF is above F8 (600 mm at F9)
I didn't have AF with my Kenko 1.4x extender, it stopped at F8.
Spring time has started over here, time to play outside...

Ad B
Its good to hear that your Nikon system is now working OK with a 1.4x tc. I have always got AF with a Canon 1.4x tc MkII and this lens even though it is at f9. What these f6.3 lenses do when a 1.4x tc is attached is to fool the Cameras AF system into thinking it is still at f8 (even though the EXIF reports f9). With my Canon Cameras I have always found that this lens works better with a Canon 1.4x tc MKII than a Sigma one. The recent firmware update has not changed anything for me except maybe the AF is slightly faster, I always got reasonable fast AF at 840mm before the firmware update.
Attached is a sample (heavy crop) taken at 600mm with a 1.4x tc attached so 840mm. Not so good as the bare lens as you would expect but not so bad IMO.

Attachments

• gold at 840mm 1P N.jpg
    gold at 840mm 1P N.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Skylark taken at 600mm on the 7D2, hand held - just to keep the thread going.

Attachments

• skylark 02P N.jpg
    skylark 02P N.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 369
Nice! I am planning to get this lens and this thread helped me decide so thanks for posting. I decided to pair it with a D7200. As soon as I finish selling off my audiophile equipment for the funds I will be looking for a deal on ebay or elsewhere :).

A few recent(ish) shots just to keep the thread going. All at 600mm and hand held.

Attachments

• swallow 10 PN.jpg
    swallow 10 PN.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 316
  • mipit 1P N.jpg
    mipit 1P N.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 323
  • BTG 01 nik.jpg
    BTG 01 nik.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 364
Had the lens a few weeks now and after a rather successful trip to Bempton cliffs I'm really happy with it. now just to find a bag (preferably holster or slingshot style) to keep it and the camera in. anyone got any suggestions as to whats best?
thanks
AD

Hi,

It been a long time, somebody posted pics or comments in this topic.
And the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary stil is a very nice toy to play with.
Last year I was with my love in Portugal spending one of our holydays... :t:
(we try to go 4 or 5 times a year... |:$|)
Okay, Portugal. We drove towards the Atlantic coast, to Cabo Sardão.
As I have read, it's the only place where storks are breeding at the very rocky sea coast.
My Sigma lens plus my Nikon D750 did their best...
1: https://flic.kr/p/S5HBJq
Nest with a view
2: https://flic.kr/p/QUi1Rn
Approach for landing
3: https://flic.kr/p/QRPXJN
Almost there. Coming in babe...!
4: https://flic.kr/p/S5HPAG
Warm welkom.
5: https://flic.kr/p/RyGkc3
The last pic is the way I presented my serie at our expo last November.
(The gray color is the color of the board on which the pictures hang)
It was quite a succes, not only the composition but also the presentation.

Ad B

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    913.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    855 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    930.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    879.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 113
Hi! I've read all the posts in this thread but didn't found the answer. Currently I have the first version of Canon 100-400 lens. What do you think is it worth replacing it with Sigma 150-600 contemporary or Tamron 150-600 G2 or it is better to leave Canon 100-400 and just relax?))

Hi,

It been a long time, somebody posted pics or comments in this topic.
And the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary stil is a very nice toy to play with.
Last year I was with my love in Portugal spending one of our holydays... :t:
(we try to go 4 or 5 times a year... |:$|)
Okay, Portugal. We drove towards the Atlantic coast, to Cabo Sardão.
As I have read, it's the only place where storks are breeding at the very rocky sea coast.
My Sigma lens plus my Nikon D750 did their best...
1: https://flic.kr/p/S5HBJq
Nest with a view
2: https://flic.kr/p/QUi1Rn
Approach for landing
3: https://flic.kr/p/QRPXJN
Almost there. Coming in babe...!
4: https://flic.kr/p/S5HPAG
Warm welkom.
5: https://flic.kr/p/RyGkc3
The last pic is the way I presented my serie at our expo last November.
(The gray color is the color of the board on which the pictures hang)
It was quite a succes, not only the composition but also the presentation.

Ad B

Good shots! Are they cropped much?

Hi,

the 4 pics are cropped while shooting, I shot them in 1.2 mode (720 mm)... (Nikon D750)
As I could see in the "Flickr" Exif, I didn't do more cropping.
In the serie, the two nest pics are cropped a bit more to get more into details.
Shooting distance was between 50 and 75 meter.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

About your 100-400 lens...
If you always have to crop much, you are in need of more length.
I would consider and/or try out a 150-600 lens.
Which, Tamron or Sigma...??? I wouldn't know...
I bought the Sigma because of its fine tuning possibilities with its docking station.
With the G2 version of the Tamron it's possible to.

Hi! I've read all the posts in this thread but didn't found the answer. Currently I have the first version of Canon 100-400 lens. What do you think is it worth replacing it with Sigma 150-600 contemporary or Tamron 150-600 G2 or it is better to leave Canon 100-400 and just relax?))
If you need the extra focal length from 400mm to 600mm then I would say the Sigma is the best bet and well worth replacing your MkI. In case you have never tried a 600mm, then there is an heck of a difference between 400mm and 600mm for things like birds.
I have the Sigma 150-600 C AND the Canon 100-400 MkII (which is a good bit better than your MkI imo). At 400mm and below the Canon MKII just beats the Sigma but at 560mm the Sigma beats the Canon 100-400 with a 1.4x tc. Cons for the Siggy is the extra weight (2kg)and the longer MFD compared to your lens. I still use the 150-600 C in preference to the 100-400 MkII for long range bird shots but I bought the 100-400 mainly for the incredible MFD (98cm) (butterflies and larger insects + close birds).
BTW I also had the original Tamron 150-600 and the Siggy C beats that lens for sure IMHO (AF is better/faster and the customisation options are great).

Hi Andrew,

About your 100-400 lens...
If you always have to crop much, you are in need of more length.
I would consider and/or try out a 150-600 lens.
Which, Tamron or Sigma...??? I wouldn't know...
I bought the Sigma because of its fine tuning possibilities with its docking station.
With the G2 version of the Tamron it's possible to.

Thank you for the answer. I crop in post process almost all the time, so I guess I really need a bigger focal length.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back