• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

New Sigma 150/600 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
How does it work with the 1.4x? f6.3 would go to f9.
It works the same as the Tammy does at f6.3 on the 70D (theoretically it should not AF at all). As with all the Tamron and Sigma f6.3 long lenses they have built-in electronics to fool the AF systems into thinking it is only f5.6 - If it did not do this then lenses like the Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600 would not AF at all on anything but Cameras that support f8 AF.

the black fox

another good day today ,paired the sigma up with the 70d again ,and its definitely the way to go ,it just seems to work far better ,the a/f is slightly slower than the 1D3 but plenty fast enough for b.i.f with a positive lock on and some decent exposure patterns to use .anyway heres todays star rarity ,a american laughing gull thats popped over to visit the river mersey .

Attachments

• you having a larf mate .jpg
    you having a larf mate .jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 117
  • take my picture you having a laugh .jpg
    take my picture you having a laugh .jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 128

Mickr

I received my lens today and the first impression is "wow", the lens build quality is absolutely top class. My main concern before purchasing the lens was the weight and I don't think it will be a problem. I have been outside and taken a few photographs after dusk of a passing plane and had a few surprises. It actually locked focus when it probably shouldn't have, or at least me old lens wouldn't have. The speed of focus, after dusk, was a massive surprise. I only pointed at the plane to get a feel for hand holding the lens and didn't think I would get anything.

Does it feel heavy? Yes. Does it feel as if it's a hand holder? Yes.

I'm not sure that I like the lens cover, it would have been better if it was longer as I've put it on the lens in the house and it sometimes drops off. I like the idea of it but it would have been better if it was longer and tied behind the lens hood. I'm not sure that I will like the lens hood, the hood seems to be a bit fiddly and I would probably have preferred the old type Sigma lens hood which twists on and off.

Everything else feels fantastic about the lens and I can't wait to go out tomorrow and start using it, I can't believe the leap in quality from my Sigma 50-500 non OS to this lens. So far it feels like you get a lot of lens for your money. The lens is going to be massive value for money if it is half as good in use as it looks and feels.

the black fox

Nice one mick ,you will love it ,fastest focus range is 10 mtrs to infinity ,I have just bought a elasticated lens hood/cover off of e.bay for a fiver ,far better than the black thing .await your pictures

the black fox

It works the same as the Tammy does at f6.3 on the 70D (theoretically it should not AF at all). As with all the Tamron and Sigma f6.3 long lenses they have built-in electronics to fool the AF systems into thinking it is only f5.6 - If it did not do this then lenses like the Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600 would not AF at all on anything but Cameras that support f8 AF.
The lens will only a.f with a t.c on bodies that support f8 focussing Roy ,I.e 1Ds ,5D3 ,7d2 with any others it's lens only .it works perfectly with a canon 1.4 but gives a reading of F9 on the 1D3 there is some loss of iq but work in progress on that after sensor clean on my camera

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
The lens will only a.f with a t.c on bodies that support f8 focussing Roy ,I.e 1Ds ,5D3 ,7d2 with any others it's lens only .it works perfectly with a canon 1.4 but gives a reading of F9 on the 1D3 there is some loss of iq but work in progress on that after sensor clean on my camera
Yes I know that Jeff, the point I am making is that theoretically any f6.3 lens should not AF at all on Cameras like the 70D and 7D1 but they do because of the electronics fooling the Cameras AF system into thinking it is at f5.6 (even though the EXIF may display f6.3).

It is the same when you add a 1.4x tc making it f9 - although the EXIF is displaying f9 the Cameras AF system is being fooled into thinking it is at f8 - if it did not do this then you would not get AF with a tc on any Camera.

Sigma and Tamron have been doing this for years with all their f6.3 lenses. The likes of Canon have no need for this for the simple reason that their slowest lenses are f5.6. Sigma once made a 500/7.2 lens which autofocused OK in bright light on any body, but AF was slow, again it was done by fooling the Cameras AF system.

Last edited:

the black fox

anyways to carry on with this thread ,i,m really starting to gel with this lens now and i have established that a setting of -5 or -6 on the 1dmkiii micro adjust is more or less spot on for use in the field where as the 70d seems o.k on zero ma .the results i am starting to get are giving me the fine detail i have been after for a while and also a extremely good contrast range .as demonstrated below ,a mix of cameras ,and situations ranging from bright sunlight to dark deep wood stuff ,the nuthatch and blue tit tripod mounted the others hand held

Attachments

• posing nicely .jpg
    posing nicely .jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 141
  • timid tit .jpg
    timid tit .jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 148
  • woodland poser .jpg
    woodland poser .jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 161
  • i live thurgh.jpg
    i live thurgh.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 141
  • going to seed .jpg
    going to seed .jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 79

Mickr

The attached isn't brilliant but it's better than I had expected in the poor light caused by wall to wall clouds. I can't wait until the conditions are favourable.

Attachments

• Red Kite.jpg
    Red Kite.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 180

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
What body are you using Mick? Shame about the weather, that's still within range! I see one low over my allotment quite frequently but of course I am always holding a spade - I would love to get a photo at that sort of range

Mickr

What body are you using Mick? Shame about the weather, that's still within range! I see one low over my allotment quite frequently but of course I am always holding a spade - I would love to get a photo at that sort of range

I'm using the 70D and it is a very capable camera, adding the lens has made a massive difference. I just need good light now and I think they will compliment each other massively.

Typically, the only blue sky today was in the afternoon and to the east when the sun was in the west so I had to over-expose to get any detail.

Also, the lens is easy to hand-hold and it will get easier with use. I tried it out yesterday in horrible high winds and the only problem was that the lens hood acted like a sail but that isn't unique to this lens. I have the same problem in high winds with a lens hood on any lens when facing into the wind.

The lens can be calibrated in 16 different areas so that will need checking out to make sure that the lens is perfect, if it isn't already.

The auto focus is excellent in speed and accuracy, the only problem with focus so far has been with me selecting the wrong limits, like going 10m to infinity and having something turn up closer.

So far the lens is meeting my expectations of it in every way, the focus speed to lock and accuracy is better than I had expected.

the black fox

the usb dock is a must mick .i have used C1 to set my mid range focus from 4mtrs to infinity it doesn't slow it down at all and saves having to mess with the switches .and if you feel you need the other ranges just click it off .be carefully calibrating all the individual lengths as well .i was warned against it by the sigma techie .
the new TS-81 grip will also help when its out for carrying it

Mickr

the usb dock is a must mick .i have used C1 to set my mid range focus from 4mtrs to infinity it doesn't slow it down at all and saves having to mess with the switches .and if you feel you need the other ranges just click it off .be carefully calibrating all the individual lengths as well .i was warned against it by the sigma techie .
the new TS-81 grip will also help when its out for carrying it

I have purchased the dock and have had a quick look to see what I can do with it. I've only had a look for a few minutes and that was mainly to check to see if the software needed updating but it was OK.

The good thing about calibrating the lens is that you can easily reset it without any problem if you're not happy with it. I would hate to think I could improve my photographs and hadn't bothered.

the black fox

couple from this morning in the sunshine

Attachments

• its the singer not the song .jpg
    its the singer not the song .jpg
    453 KB · Views: 191
  • often overlooked.jpg
    often overlooked.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 143
Hello

Hi everyone, I wanted to make my first post here and start with a little hello from Canada :)

I have been prompted to sign up here for a couple of reasons that I would like to list off:

1: Firstly I needed to sign up to thank you all for your contributions to this thread. I have been monitoring it for probably around 2-3 months and have found lots of useful information here. So thank you!

2: I have now put in my pre-order for a Sigma 150-600S (Nikon mount) and would like to contribute my information once I have it available to me (hopefully mid April).

3: I feel this thread needs a little more Canada to shake up the diversity and add to the location/lighting/weather effects for this lens :p

I also wanted to make my first contribution to the thread with this review I've come across. I don't believe it has been uploaded anywhere yet (excuse my ignorance/terrible memory if it has). Its a very in detail review and has some great information for anyone else looking to invest in this lens, or one of its main competitors.

http://www.lenstip.com/417.1-Lens_review-Sigma_S_150-600_mm_f_5-6.3_DG_OS_HSM_Introduction.html

Thanks again everyone, I look forward to furthering this discussion with all of you.

And most importantly... Happy Birding :)

the black fox

Good bit of reading there thanks ,the bit I found interesting and confirms what I have been saying about a/f speed once set to 10mtrs to infinity the focus speed is a incredible 0.3 of a second . I have actually reset mine via the usb dock to 4 mtrs to infinity to save messing with switches on walkabout and it doesn't seem to have slowed it down much at all .
The only point I dis.agree with is the same comment as from others that it's not a walkabout lens ,I think it's really dependant on the owners capabilities more than anything else ,I have adopted a method of cradling it in my arms till ready and it works fine like that for me ,although I do now take a monopod with me as a back up in case .hopefully the new TS-81 grip will alter this enormously

the black fox

more from the other day.the running fox is from a set taken the during the first week i had the lens a burst of 22 shots taken with 22 all in focus .

Attachments

• total blues .jpg
    total blues .jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 95
  • turn the other cheek .jpg
    turn the other cheek .jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 99
  • TALLY HO ..jpg
    TALLY HO ..jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 131

Colin M

Thank you for posting so much useful information and examples of your shots. This certainly looks to be a very good lens for the money to me.

How are you finding the weight?

the black fox

Thank you for posting so much useful information and examples of your shots. This certainly looks to be a very good lens for the money to me.

How are you finding the weight?

the one thing that seems to put people off is the one thing that you don't really notice ,i have one ,mickr has one i have a friend in bournemouth that has one WE ALL use the lens handheld .i have adapted my monopod with a long strap to take with me but have only actually used it once .
yes the lens is heavy but put it in perspective its still lighter than either a canon 500mm or 600mm lens its a LOT lighter than a nikon 500 or 600mm as well .as its a zoom it can be shrunk while carrying it (i carry mine round like a babe in arms) cradled up and it use fully extended its well balanced .

heres a shot taken last week from a long session american laughing gull in flight ,HAND HELD ,ANY MORE QUESTIONS ???

Attachments

• over the blue .jpg
    over the blue .jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 129

Paul Jarvis

Registered Member
The images speak for themselves I would say. The build quality alone has me hooked for one and the dock is a very nice feature to set up the lens.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread